Now, where was I?

Something I haven't done in forever is post a recipe.

Last year I started working out and, while I started seeing results, I'm still a stretch away from looking like I did when I was in my peak* and I'm bound and determined to give it Ye Olde College Trye. This means that not only would I continue doing the workout thing, I would also clamp down on my edibles.

This process entails eating less of that stuff that winds up as adipose tissue, and more of the stuff that does not, as well as making sure I get a surfeit of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and the like. The problem is that the stuff I'm likeliest to wind up carrying as excess Me is the stuff I like eating the best, so it behooves me to find a way to make smaller portions seem bigger.

So this is what I fixed for dinner last night:

Beef Negimaki (spellings vary, so don't bawl me out)
6 oz soy sauce (my fave is San-J reduced sodium tamari)
1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
1 Tablespoon fresh garlic, minced
6 oz pineapple juice

Prepare a small saucepan over low heat. Add the ingredients and simmer until the mixture is about 1/2 reduced and is the color and thickness of real maple syrup.

1 lb. chuck shoulder steak (sometimes called "London Broil" and is, basically the cheap-o version of flank) sliced into "minute steaks" by the butcher. (Alternatively, you can cut the steak into eight and POUND them flat with a tenderizing mallet.)
24 scallions, trimmed of the gross bits and the dried out green parts. OK, and the root parts.
1 Tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted in a dry skillet

Put a flattened piece of beef on your cutting board and place 3 scallions on top. Roll the beef around the scallions. (Both should be in "landscape" orientation. Duh.) Repeat. Secure with toothpicks or kitchen twine. Brush with sauce. Let rest.

Set your grill (or grill pan or, fine, a skillet with a goodly film of peanut oil) to medium and place the beef upon it, basting frequently with the sauce. (It should develop into a glaze.) Remove, allow to rest and sprinkle with seeds. Slice the rolls into 3" pieces and then each piece diagonally.

Fake Soba Noodles
1 pound whole wheat spaghetti, cooked al dente
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon peanut oil
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1/4 cup coarsely chopped chives (save 4 or so intact)

Place noodles in a large bowl. Whisk together the soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic, ginger, peanut oil and sesame oil. Pour over the noodles, add the chives and toss to combine. Garnish with intact chives.

Mizuna Salad with Wasabi Vinaigrette

1 tablespoon fresh horseradish (or 2 teaspoon wasabi powder)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 lemon, juiced
1 teaspoon light brown sugar
1/3 cup peanut oil (get the cold-pressed stuff)
4 cups mizuna
1 package daikon sprouts
In a bowl, mix wasabi with soy sauce, juice, and sugar. Whisk in the oil. Toss with mizuna and check for seasoning. Garnish with daikon sprouts.

Yummy, clean, light, satisfying and the best part is the labor-intensive stuff can be made in big batches wa-a-a-a-ay ahead of time.

You're welcome, Internet.

-J.

* When I was at a party in Boston in the mid-1980s, someone said about me: "Your friend's pretty hot...for a Republican."

Comments

Badger said…
WTF is mizuna?

Confirmation word: bkkwsh. Backwash! Excellent. And me without a beer.
Poppy Buxom said…
1. No wonder you like Boston.

2. Why don't you use real soba?
Joke said…
Mizuna is kinda/sorta/maybe the Japanese version of arugula, but it has a cooler shape and a less sharp flavor.

I didn't use soba because I was all out of soba.

-J.
Joke said…
P.S. I have liked Boston ever since the brother of a pal of mine invited me to help in the campaign of a guy named Andrew Card who was running for guv'nor and I was totally hit on by a very cute girl at a fundraiser for same in 1982.
BabelBabe said…
now i want to know if the reverse has ever been uttered - he's pretty hot...for a liberal. just curious.

the beef sounds good but we're on this veggie streak at the moment - H recovering from one too many cookouts in the weirdly warm winter weather...
Badger said…
I was going to say that "pretty hot for a Republican" was aiming kind of low, but I'm trying to be all nice and shit.
Sarah Louise said…
My head hurts. I make egg dishes. As in scrambled eggs, with variations. You would keel over if you saw what is in my fridge or freezer. Good thing the miles separate us.
Joke said…
Badge,

"Pretty hot for a classical libertarian" just doesn't roll out the same, at least not when it's some Tufts student saying it.

BabBab,

I'm sure someone, somewhere has said that...but not I.

-J.

Popular Posts