Cooking without a recipe.

A few days ago, I had to skip across the state to look in on a client. So, I took the opportunity to pass by the best butcher shop in the state. The first time I went, I went nuts. They had/have excellent Kobe beef and I practically brought home half a cow. These days I'm more moderate in my outlook. I brought some "flat iron" steaks and a "London Broil." Since we'd be dining en famille, I decided to cook the London Broil with Balsamic-caramelized Onions and Aged Gorgonzola.

Yes, I need to work on my photography skills.

First, mince a fat clove of garlic (or two small ones)
Then you chop a 1/4 onion.Get a pat of butter (not the cultured stuff, which lends an off-flavor when cooked)Melt said pat.Add the onion/garlic and cook on low until translucent. Add a quarter cup of balsamic vinegar (nothing super aged or too artisanal...however, if all you have is the stuff that's barely aged or too industrial, you may cut this with a splash of orange juice)Your onion/Balsamic thing ought look, at the halfway point, like this: Take out your London Broil (this also works with flank or large-ish sirloins, etc.)Pat it dry. This is crucial. Rub LIGHTLY with oil (I used EVOO, you do whatev.) and season with salt and pepper. The oil layer is key because it a) provides a barrier between the salt and the beef (so the salt doesn't draw out moisture) and b) helps the seasonings adhere thereto.Take a roasting thermometer.Put the sensor parallel to the flat of the beef, to the furthest extent it can go. Like so.
Start cooking over VERY high heat. The moment you have proper sear marks, flip. Once the other side is equally seared, turn the heat as low as possible and cover. Once the temperature sensor reads 130F, turn the heat off completely. The temperature will have thermal momentum and continue to rise. If you did this right AND you want your beef medium-rare (and you do), the temperature will reach 140F and go no further.Take out some sort of green leafy thing. Normally, I'd opt for something a bit sharper (arugula, etc.) but this is what I had.Plate it up.Beef is good to go!Cut beef into approximately 1/2" (1cm) slices. Note how the pink extends almost to the crust, without a layer of ruined overdone well-done between the surface and the medium-rare bits. This is exactly what you want. The heat from the beef will begin to wilt the leaves. You want that also.Take +/- 3 oz. of aged Gorgonzola. ("Stravecchio") If you can only get the young, creamy kind you'll probably need more. The old stuff is much sharper and so less is needed.Place a generous spoonful of the balsamic onion thing atop the beef. Cut t-h-i-n slices of the Gorgonzola and plop them on the onion thing. Like so:
(This is the kid plate)
We opted for a medium-aged (this was a well-rested 2000) Rioja. ...and this is TFBIM's plate. Yes, that dainty little slip of a girl demolished the whole thing.
There you have it.

-J.

EPILOGUE: The leftover beef when cold, and spinach make a lovely Asian-ish salad.

Comments

Stomper Girl said…
That looks sublime. Well except for the bit with the beef and the roasting thermometer. It reminded me of Fixit in hospital with wires all attached to sensors. Disturbing.
A perfect post. am drooling slightly.

and am gone and good bye, at least for a while. thank you so much for calling me - what was it? - 'gracious and lovely'?

these things stick, you see.

bec
Joke said…
SG,

But it'd seem Mr. Fixit -- like the London Broil in question -- both enjoyed similarly successful results.

Bec,

Please decompress fully and return, bronzed and fit, to public bloggery.

-J.
BabelBabe said…
that would make an EXCELLENT breakfast. I am drooling.

and thank you for the phrase "Melt said pat." I don't know why exactly I enjoyed it so much, but I did.
Badger said…
I am doing garlicky flank steak tonight. But your thing looks good, too. Yum!
Sarah O. said…
But I love industrial balsamic vinegar!

And well-rested roja.

Seriously, I love foodie talk.
Outstanding J- bravo. I'll be free to enjoy such carnal desires in 6 weeks. Until then...spiritual enlightenment!
-TT

Popular Posts