Thursday, February 15, 2007

The End is Nigh!

Much like the lovely and gracious Badger, I had a near-death experience with this blog, having almost been forced to switch to the "new" Blogger. Those unfortunates who know me well enough will attest to how pathologically averse I am to change, especially change I see as unnecessary and arbitrary.

Which is a complete bite, because I was intending to blog on my triumph in plumbing. As a PT SAHD, I often get stuck doing more housework-y stuff like laundering and ironing and cooking. Which is fine, because I do those things exceptionally well and since I eat and wear apparel (quite often simultaneously) I don't mind.

But this morning, upon my return from the gym I went to shower and I discovered the drain wasn't, uh, draining. I was midway through the hygienic procedure and it seemed more like I was in a submarine that had been struck than in the shower. I went for the plunger; plunging was useless because there was this secret little chrome thingy -- a technical term we use in the plumber's guild -- which LOOKS like it's the lever that works the stopper in the drain....but NO! It's also a secret overflow valve. So all my plunging was merely circulating soapy water and not doing anything.

I leapt into action, and damned near brained myself because I was soapy and wet and the floor is slick. I tossed on a robe, sped to the garage and took the toolbox. Assiduous readers will note this is the first time I blog about something as stereotypically manly as tools, but it had to happen at some point. I blew the downy layer of fine dust off the toolbox, peeled off a stray cobweb or two and started in.

The trick was to remove the chrome thingy, which I did with two sorta medium Phil(l)ips head screwdrivers (I know many of you are taking notes, so I wish to be thorough.) Care had to be exercised to keep the screws from falling down the drain, but I managed. Then -- and pay close attention here -- I applied the "auxiliary" plunger to the hole previously covered by the chrome thingy. No plunging needed, just needed to seal the hole. THEN, holding as stated, I took the primary plunger and plunged freely. Something made a sickening gurgle somewhere down the line and flow was restored.

I am now basking in the glow of my manly prowess and wondering about going shopping as a reward.

-J.

Posted by Joke at 11:27 AM

9 Comments

  • Blogger Carolyn posted at 3:44 PM, February 15, 2007  
    I loved this post.

    I can't fix anything so I am highly impressed.
  • Blogger MsCellania posted at 3:47 PM, February 15, 2007  
    Well, I'll definitely give you at Atta Boy for this one. I would not have remembered about the overflow being yet another drain - therefore, no suction. Do you KNOW how many plumbers you are going to put out of the business with this post?!

    I invested in a MoFo plunger. Our main floor bath has a crook in the waste pipe from the commode. I don't know what rocket scientist designed it, but there it is. And you know how much toilette paper little boys can use -

    I think the Iberian Hair is what's ailing your tub plumbing - that stuff stretches 2 miles before breaking...
  • Blogger daysgoby posted at 4:09 PM, February 15, 2007  
    *stands and applauds*
  • Blogger Badger posted at 7:06 PM, February 15, 2007  
    Well, that is swell. I would have snaked the bastard and probably broken something.
  • Blogger Stomper Girl posted at 8:34 PM, February 15, 2007  
    I'm with daysgoby, standing and applauding. Probably also shouting "Bravo".

    Not just because of your prowess in the Mr-Fixit-Department, but because you were rewarding yourself with shopping. Genius.
  • Blogger Joke posted at 10:06 PM, February 15, 2007  
    I'm just happy I can still use the old Blogger.

    -J.
  • Blogger MsCellania posted at 10:27 PM, February 15, 2007  
    Hey, dammit; I also posted "I advise periodic prophylactic plunging due to the Hair' but blogger didn't post that part. I'm telling you; Blogger has it out for you. Look out!
  • Blogger velcro posted at 9:49 AM, February 16, 2007  
    Well done there old boy and all that.
  • Blogger Sarah O. posted at 10:01 AM, February 16, 2007  
    This is all very impressive.

    The most impressive part is that you have an "auxiliary" plunger.

    So what did you buy as your reward?
  • Post a Comment

    « Home