Monday, March 12, 2007

Oh, and another thing.

Today, being The Day After* started out as a lot of damned fun. But then yesterday finished up as being a lot of fun, also.

Y'see, the Joke chillun are not stupid. They know they are being fooled by their parents when they say it's bedtime and yet it's light out, or that it's dinnertime when the sun is visible or, more importanmtly, that it's time to awaken -- remember, they didn't go to sleep until the light faded from the heavens -- when it's dark out.

So, not being stupid, they become impassioned recusants. Which led me to issue threats and howl warnings of impending loss of privileges and in NOS's case, of heading schoolwards in an unbreakfasted** state.

Still, I reserve my bile for whomever was the cretin who came up with this harebrained scheme, as toxic and noxious (albeit in a different way) as the income tax or the speed limit. Why daylight ought be saved has never been satisfactorily explained to me, save by NOS who touts its magical abilities to allow him to play longer outside. Somehow, this roseate view abandoned him this morning as I attempted (with the bare minimum success) to roust him out and get him out the door.

Because I think I should boycott the entire enterprise, yesterday I didn't adjust my watch, I changed watches. A while ago I managed to get two very nice watches, almost identical, on eBay. I say "almost" because one had a white face and the other the black one. So, in the spirit of protest and "petition for the redress of grievances" I wear the black faced watch throughout our ordeal.

In other news, today I celebrate my 200th post to be consigned to the draft pile.

-J.

* i.e., postapocalyptic.
** TFBIM would stand in the doorway with a dagger at ther own slender throat rather than allow anyone a breakfast-free egress.

Posted by Joke at 8:04 AM

9 Comments

  • Blogger Sarah O. posted at 9:35 AM, March 12, 2007  
    Oooo, we had the "loss of priviledges" discussion last night, too. Of course, it didn't help the kids' body clocks that Mom couldn't get dinner together until 8:00 because the sun was still up so it wasn't time to fix dinner yet.

    And it sure didn't help that not only was the sun not up when the alarm clock buzzed this morning but that it's very cloudy and gloomy.

    AND I'm still grouchy from missing an hour of sleep and because my allegedly-set-to-central-time 30-pound hanging on the wall behind my desk Atomic Clock still has the wrong ti - WAIT! It's got the right time now! The Clock God woke up!

    There's hope after all.
  • Blogger Stomper Girl posted at 7:10 PM, March 12, 2007  
    Boy, Mister-Black-Faced-Watch, you sure are grumpy about this daylight savings thing. No way am I going to stick my head up and say how much I love it. No way.
  • Blogger Badger posted at 7:10 PM, March 12, 2007  
    You're protesting by ... wearing a different watch?

    Way to stick it to the man, dude.
  • Blogger Kim posted at 6:10 AM, March 13, 2007  
    I haven't commented much of late, but wanted to let you know that I'm reading, and enjying it very much.
  • Blogger Joke posted at 7:51 AM, March 13, 2007  
    It's more of a mourning than a protest thing. After I overthrow the tax code, root and branch, we'll discuss it.

    Alas, moving to Arizona is not an option at the moment.

    -J.
  • Blogger Poppy Buxom posted at 12:13 AM, March 14, 2007  
    1. Daylight Savings is Ben Franklin's fault. He invented it along with bifocal glasses, energy-efficient closed stoves, free public libraries, volunteer fire departments, and witty aphorisms. He wanted to save people money on candles and such. He didn't anticipate electric light or insomniac computer geeks.

    2. BUY #1 SON A WATCH. Hell, lend him two or three of yours. Let him get all interested in watches and hey presto! He will know what time it is.
  • Blogger Joke posted at 7:54 AM, March 14, 2007  
    1- Bastard.

    2- He knows what time it is. The problem is his failure (or, if you will, his lack of desire) to do anything about it.

    -J.
  • Blogger Poppy Buxom posted at 10:41 AM, March 14, 2007  
    OK, then allow me to edit my second recommendation:

    2. BUY HIM A WATCH that says "It's time for a spanking!"
  • Blogger Joke posted at 10:55 AM, March 14, 2007  
    That sounds like something found at the KidGap in the Castro district.

    -J.
  • Post a Comment

    « Home