Sunday, April 15, 2007

The glorious events of a misspent youth.

I want to thank the lovely and gracious E-Claire for hipping me to this video, from a band I saw and loved WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back when I was traveling to Boston to secure (without success) admission to one of the nation's premier MBA programs.

I love Boston. Not that this would be obvious to those who have a passing knowledge of me, but I do. After all, the city's politics skew to the opposite end of the spectrum from mine, it has a VERY discernible winter, and that University didn't even have the good grace to put me on their waiting list. But I have never failed to not have a bad time in Boston, and for some reason my social life perked up whenever I visited. (More on this another time, remind me to tell you about the Card fundraiser in 1982.)

Part of why I do is because Boston, IMCO, has the best music scene, bar none, of any city in Creation, especially if you like your music (in PC's words) "Jangly, power-poppy* and slightly punky."

There, I said it.

Anyway, here they are:

The Neighborhoods


-J.

P.S. The second song on this clip is one of my absolute favorites, ever.
P.P.S. Not that I'm thinking of actually doing it, but I have always been very curious by how those New Wave bands got their hair to look like that.

* Not you, Poppy.

Posted by Joke at 10:39 PM

9 Comments

  • Blogger Stomper Girl posted at 12:43 AM, April 16, 2007  
    I've never heard of the Neighborboods, but while I was checking out the clip I found footage of them performing with Billy Bragg who is one of my faves.

    So they're okay by me.
  • Blogger Badger posted at 8:44 AM, April 16, 2007  
    I'm sorry, "best music scene"? Them's fightin' words, Slim.

    P.S. My hair looks like that (except the mullet, which I chopped off in 1984) if I DON'T put any product in it.
  • Blogger Joke posted at 8:51 AM, April 16, 2007  
    But wait.

    Your hair does that "fiberoptic lamp from Spencer's Gifts" thing on its own?

    -J.

    P.S. I did say IMCO. But I stand by it. As of my last foray therewith, Austin had too many skinny caucasians with white panama hats playing the blues, thereby keeping it in 2nd place.
  • Blogger Sarah O. posted at 9:54 AM, April 16, 2007  
    Wow, this clip brings back a lot of fun early 80's memories. Not of The Neighborhoods per se but of the white boy pop punk club bands I loved so. Even though all they left me with was a broken heart and tinnitus (which is NOT an STD!).

    I checked You Tube for my favorite late 70's, early 80's Chicago club band, Off Broadway. All I could find were clips from a 2002 reunion show. Shudder. They were a lot more fun before they were all 55 and 300 pounds.

    Repeat after me: NO OLD ROCKERS! Except for the ones currently gracing my blog.

    I will definitely steal the "fiberoptic lamp from Spencer's Gifts" hair line.
  • Blogger Joke posted at 1:18 PM, April 16, 2007  
    Lemony,

    I'm just happy someone got that reference.

    -J.
  • Blogger Badger posted at 1:29 PM, April 16, 2007  
    If it's cut short enough, yeah. Exactly that.

    And you were last in Austin in ... 1977? I'm guessing?
  • Blogger Joke posted at 2:25 PM, April 16, 2007  
    Wow. That's damned fascinating hair.

    -J.

    P.S. 1997. 1977 was the year it snowed in Miami (before Global Warming had been invented) so I can see why my biographer may have mixed these two up.

    P.P.S The blues-playing caucasians in panama hats were also wearing hawaiian shirts and had that Miami Vice stubbly beard thing. I have no idea why this is. Mind you, in the category of rockabilly and, especially, psychobilly, Austin stands alone. But I still stand by my views on Boston's scene.
  • Blogger julia posted at 1:11 AM, April 20, 2007  
    I think I saw them at the Rat in Kenmore Square....

    And I'll totally back you on your best music scene claim.
  • Blogger Joke posted at 5:19 AM, April 20, 2007  
    I'm pretty honest in my opinion. I mean (unless you like Latin music) SoFla's scene is a trackless musical desert...so I'm clearly not a "homer."

    -J.
  • Post a Comment

    « Home