With bated breath.

Well, since you asked. Here is the Sushi Episode. Today we were making everyone's "gateway" sushis: California Rolls and Vegetable Rolls.First off, the implements of destruction.
SG's wish came almost true.
In Japanese this means "I'll #$%&ing cut your #$%&ing arm off! Don't you DARE #$%& with me!!"
The rice, spread out and cooled.NOS-san deconstructing some cucumber.Putting the rice on the nori. Which sounds like Japanese gangsta slang.NOS posing proudly in mid-process, having just placed the surimi on the rice. (Keen-eyed observers will note how he drapes the kitchen towel over his shoulder, Gordon Ramsay-style.)
Vegetable roll, just before rolling. (We cheated and slipped a bit of cling wrap underneath to facilitate the whole thing.)
...and slice! (The trick is to wipe and wet the Santoku knife -- also some sort of Tokyo slang, probably -- between slices.)

And there ya have it. Sushi by a 10-year old. I can hear the dowry zooming skyward...but not as much as if he hadn't donned the headband.

-J.

Comments

Badger said…
Dude, the headband is essential. It indicates that he's a master of his craft.

(I totally just made that up, but it sounds good, don't it?)

Where'd ya get the wee teeny chef whites?
Joke said…
http://tinyurl.com/2y7wg7

-J.
daysgoby said…
Was it yummy?

It looks very professional! Very Number One-ish.
BabelBabe said…
i can't tell you how much i love you for not spelling that "baited."

seriously.

and that sushi looks professional!
Bec said…
Who knew there was a gene for "accessorising"?

The Pea Princess has nagged me for years to let her make sushi. You just took away my last excuse...

(becandcall.typepad.com - dammit Joe, open up your comments so I can sign off properly!)
Joke said…
BabBab,

Just you wait until I publicly distinguish between "phased" and "fazed."

-J.

P.S. It was pretty yummy, actually. (The cling wrap cheat is what really helps it look professional.)
shula said…
Joke, I don't use this word often, but your knife collection is AWESOME.

I was so impressed it took me a minute to register that the child is also beautiful.

But the knives, man, the knives.
h&b said…
Mooshi Mooshi !

Remind me never to dine with Shula and sharp knives.

I can tell this sushi was good. It was prepared by a Master Grasshopper.

How do you bow respectfully in emoticons ?
Kim said…
cuteness aside

is that seafood extender (aka crabsticks) I spy on the bench...???
meggie said…
What a beautiful child!
What wonderful accoutrements for the satisfying conclusion of perfect preparation.
Food looks good too.
CHICKLETTE said…
Very Handsome NOS!
Just one question comes to mind.
Now that he has mastered Sushi at such a young age, what's next?
I'm seeing Cordon Bleu in his future. ;-)
Stomper Girl said…
Thank him from me for the headband. Good lad.

Do you cut the sushi with the clingwrap on?

Also. He is a beautiful boy and you have a seriously big knife-block there.
Joke said…
SG,

Yeah, he cut the cling wrap...it peels off pretty easily.

Since this episode he has wandered around the house, striking martial arts poses and proclaiming himself the "seafood ninja!"

-J.
MsCellania said…
Gorgeous NOS.
Professional presentation.
I may have just found the boys' Christmas gifts - they help me cook all the time and have outgrown their aprons. Those chef jackets would make them squeal! Thanks!
When did you trust NOS with the Good Knives?! We're still working with butter knives and spatulas, here...
Joke said…
When he turned 8 he started cutting his food properly, 10 for kitchen knives.

-J.
Tere said…
That was awesome! What a cute little chef!
My float said…
OK, this cracked me up. Your boy is hilarious - that expression just had me in fits of laughter.

Wonderful.

Popular Posts