Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Yes, the time stamp is correct.

Dear Internet,

As you well know, I don't particularly need (or get) a whole bloody lot of sleep. Most of the time I don't mind it, because I am doing something which I prefer to sleeping. Reading, blogging, watching my latest recordings of The F-Word or Top Gear. That sort of thing.

What I do mind is when my (lack of) sleep is determined by others. The other in this case is NTS. NTS is like me that once awakened -- even if he only got 45 minutes -- he is up-and-at-them. Sadly, NTS is like TFBIM in that he gets nightmares quite often. If I can catch one of us is alert enough to catch NTS in the very early stages of dreaming of being chased by a giant rollerskate covered in pudding (or whatever) then we can snuggle for a moment or two and the night is saved.

Tonight was one of those nights when this didn't go according to plan.

So, I'm up. I'm making bread. Well, I dumped a lot of brilliant organic ingredients into my bread machine because (try as I might) I am hopeless at making bread by hand. Even if I weren't, though, I'm not going to thrash around the kitchen at ridiculous-o'clock to make focaccia or baguettes.

Instead, I set up NTS on the other computer, and he is playing some sort of educational Muppet game. (There he goes, gleefully scoring a zillion points.) Unlike the lovely and gracious Bec, I have no sunrise photo because we still have both The Rainy Season and The Nazi-Communist Clock Plot Daylight Savings Time which means that at 7am it's still dark and gloomy.

And who wants to see a pic of that?

-J.

Posted by Joke at 3:59 AM

13 Comments

  • Blogger Kim posted at 6:04 AM, October 17, 2007  
    We're waiting for our Nazi-Communist Clock Plot to kick in as it's currently light at about 4am. Well, it seems like that anyway.

    I don't need/get much sleep when I'm depressed.

    But otherwise I need at least eight hours. Otherwise I get depressed.

    And so on and forth.
  • Blogger daysgoby posted at 7:36 AM, October 17, 2007  
    So your morning was punctuated by beeps and boops and lovely smells as the muddy light changed?

    Is the race-car espresso machine still working?
  • Blogger blackbird posted at 7:39 AM, October 17, 2007  
    Have you tried the No Knead bread?
    It's difficult to mess it up, unless you overthink it - and you would NEVER do that, right?
  • Blogger Joke posted at 7:47 AM, October 17, 2007  
    bb - I will try it. I still don't think it will be my default bread for 4am bakishness, but it couldn't possibly hurt to have it in my repertoire.

    DGB - Yes and yes.

    K - The problem over by you is not teh daylight savings thing, it's that some idiot assigned you the wrong time zones.

    -J.

    P.S. Maybe it's just me, but NOTHING makes me happier than a fevered email exchange at an unreal hour with a fellow insomniac.
  • Blogger My float posted at 8:06 AM, October 17, 2007  
    Oh yes, it's great to chat with someone in the grim dark hours that precede the day! Oh, the glory of not being alone in the dark.
  • Blogger shula posted at 10:16 AM, October 17, 2007  
    See now, if we were actual neighbours, this wouldn't be an issue at all.

    Think of the fun we'd all have.
  • Blogger Joke posted at 12:37 PM, October 17, 2007  
    That's the drawback to the fellowship of insomniacs who live as far away from each other as is possible without going into orbit.

    -J.
  • Blogger CHICKLETTE posted at 4:37 PM, October 17, 2007  
    Well I wish I had checked you this morning before I went to bed at 4:00AM. I suffer with Fibromyalgia, and chronic pain, so some nights the sleep won't come.
  • Blogger Joke posted at 8:39 PM, October 17, 2007  
    See what fun you miss?

    -J.
  • Blogger Stomper Girl posted at 9:43 PM, October 17, 2007  
    I always feel like such an outsider when you insomniacs compare notes.
  • Blogger Tere posted at 10:49 AM, October 18, 2007  
    Ah, I used to be an insomniac until about 8 months ago, when a lifetime of poor, fretful, all-but-invisible sleep caught to me. Insomnia is no match for my toddler, and now I pass out like a dead body every night.

    Also, what is the deal with Daylight Savings this year? Was it officially decided that we would no longer fall back?
  • Blogger Suse posted at 6:47 PM, October 19, 2007  
    I think that's the first time I've ever seen/heard you say [... I'm hopeless at ...]

    A blog first.
  • Blogger Joke posted at 10:25 AM, October 20, 2007  
    I am all about humility.

    -J.
  • Post a Comment

    « Home