Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I'm meme-ing of a White Christmas

OK, I have some catching up to do, so I'm taking the easy way out. I'm doing a meme I have brazenly pilfered from the lovely and gracious BabBab.

Ready?

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
Gift bags. I am male and therefore too inept to wrap neatly and too lazy not to toss something in a bag.

2. Real tree or artificial?
Fake. I have appalling allergies to conifers; TFBIM didn't believe me when we were first married, and so I let her get a natural tree the first year...she still wakes up in a cold sweat. BabBab says "Artificial trees are an abomination in the eyes of the little baby Jesus" but I'm Catholic and, therefore, if she is right -- and I'm not sure her post-Reformation theology is sound on this particular point -- I can just confess it along with my manifold other sins, and be good-to-go.

3. When do you put up the tree?
Thanksgiving Saturday.

4. When do you take the tree down?
Immediately following Epiphany. January 7.

5. Do you like eggnog?
Nah. Tastes like someone spiked custard with vodka.

6. Favorite gift received as a child?
My gifts always sucked dead wombats as a child.

7. Do you have a nativity scene?
Yes. This old intricately carved thing from Spain. Every year we get a new cast member.

8. Hardest person to buy for?
Me. I'm, uh, a complete and utter PITA very particular.

9. Easiest person to buy for?
TFBIM. Something in the jewelry vein that is not too "bling" and not too "funky" and I'm set.

10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
My parents got me a beard-trimmer three years ago. I've never had a beard. You'd figure that my parents who see me, on average, thrice weekly, would know that.

11. Mail or email Christmas cards?
Mail. See me previous published works for more details.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie?
Hmm. A Christmas Story. My favorite TV show is A Charlie Brown Christmas. Not a real big Grinch fan ovah heah.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
Dec. 26th.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
If I've ever given you anything, or you've given me anything, the answer is "No, of course, not." (Although last year Poppy and I started a new tradition in regifting.)

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
Nougat.

16. Clear lights or colored on the tree?
Clear. Halogen.

17. Favorite Christmas song?
Religious: Adeste Fideles. (Yes, in Latin. That's just the kind of bastid I am.)

Secular: Run, Run Rudolph by Chuck Berry or B-b-b-blue Christmas by Porky Pig.

I know, I know...I am SUCH a child.

18. Travel for Christmas or stay home?
Stay home. Keep in mind that Christ -- and it is His birthday we celebrate -- said to pick up our cross and follow Him, and I can think of no better way to do just that very thing than to let my family inflict itself upon me.

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeers?
Yes.

20. Angel on the tree top or a star?
Star. I stuffed it full of tree lights, for added excellentness.

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?
Christmas morning. We're too beat after enduring my extended family and then hearing Midnight Mass to do anything else.

We also don't do that "open up one gift on Christmas Eve" bull$#!+.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of year?
My family, which I should specify is my mother's side. My father's side is almost all in Spain (except for the ones shot by the Communists during the Spanish Civil War or the Communists in Cuber) and so I get away with a stilted three minute transatlantic phone conversation.

23. What I love most about Christmas?
Christmas is just okay in the cultural sort of way. I love getting people gifts they will love, but people usually never give me anything that's all that great. The best part is our Boxing Day Brunch and then immediately flying off somewhere.

New Year's is pretty good, though.

-J.

Posted by Joke at 3:53 PM

7 Comments

  • Blogger blackbird posted at 7:28 PM, December 11, 2007  
    Hey - good meme, I'm stealing it.
  • Blogger BabelBabe posted at 8:38 PM, December 11, 2007  
    you'll shoot your eye out, you'll shoot your eye out....
  • Blogger Major Bedhead posted at 11:33 PM, December 11, 2007  
    A Christmas Story is high on my list of favourites, but I think It's A Wonderful Life tops it by just a titch.

    I think I'll swipe this one, too.
  • Blogger Joke posted at 7:08 AM, December 12, 2007  
    IAWL is a film I overdosed on in the late 1980s and, frankly, I've never recovered.

    -J.
  • Blogger Poppy Buxom posted at 11:35 AM, December 12, 2007  
    I stole your meme. Or perhaps I should say I re-gifted it.
  • Blogger Joke posted at 1:00 PM, December 12, 2007  
    In all fairness it IS (as I duly noted) a meme I stole from BabBab -- I know not whence she stole it -- but I am glad to know our Yuletide traditions are holding fast after all these years.

    -J.
  • Blogger Poppy Buxom posted at 12:21 AM, December 13, 2007  
    If they were really holding fast, I'd get some flavored vodka or brownies with crushed peppermint sticks out of the deal.

    Somebody you made these for has to be passing them on, right? Because not everyone is crazy about peppermint and chocolate combined. So eventually I'd get them, right? Isn't that how regifting Karma works?

    Well ... I'm waiting.
  • Post a Comment

    « Home