Oh, THIS is going to end well.

As something of an aficionado of civilized gentlemen's apparel it oughtn't surprise anyone that I tend to cast my eye, generally speaking, at the more traditional purveyors thereof.

There isn't a more traditional such purveyor than the venerable Brooks Brothers. They have been around for 190 years and have been the "inventors" of such things as a buttondown shirt collars and the like.

Now, much like a woman of a certain age doing the "mutton-dressed-as-lamb" Brooks Brothers has decided that, after 190 years, they must appeal to the Modern Brights.

They have launched their "Black Fleece" collection. A sample is attached for your delectation. By the by, the suit jacket (an off-the-peg affair) retails for $2100. To which you must add the matching coat, trousers, vest/waistcoat at similarly eyewatering prices.

So, you could conceivably spend $4K+, to look like you want people to throw rocks at you as whenever you go by.

-J.

P.S. Can you imagine the corporate meeting where this was approved? I'm amazed the designer stood up and said to the CEO "Sir, I've designed a whole new look. It involves taking our traditional items and giving LSD to all the tailors as they sew." Why the boss didn't immediately scream "Browne, you imbecile...this isn't a new look, this is lunacy!" is beyond me.

Comments

Frogdancer said…
If any of my kids bought this, I would have to shoot them.

(In the knee. I don't want to kill them, but a definite message would have to be given.)
blackbird said…
Our affair with BB ended when they started putting blends in their shirts.
We had a nice ride - 25 years.
MsCellania said…
Oh, dear -
I bought my dad a suit from BB in 1987. He STILL wears it - he and the suit have aged beautifully.
That 'mutton dressed as lamb' expression will come in useful. It's happening nearly ever day, right next door to us. And the mutton needs to buy a few sizes up...
Joke said…
My views on artificial fibers are both VERY well documented and unambiguously severe.

-J.

P.S. Their original oxford cloth buttondowns are worth a special search on eBay...especially for those of us not so keen on buying huge stock from Mercer's.
Poppy Buxom said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Poppy Buxom said…
The first black fleece collection came out last fall. I checked out some of the pieces in the store. The women's stuff was, if possible, even stupider-looking than the men's. I asked the SA whether it was selling. She said not particularly.

I was shocked! I mean, what woman
wouldn't want a blackwatch plaid woolen strapless evening gown that costs $4,000?

It was stupid on so many levels I couldn't believe it. Beautifully made clothing of sumptuous fabrics that looked completely idiotic.

Check out the stuff on the website. It looks like they've already given up on the women. No black fleece.

I'm crying. But my tears are from laughter.
Caro said…
Wow, that is some suit. I think my eyes are crossing from looking at it.
meggie said…
It would be hilarious, if it wasn't so hideous.
Kim said…
Just the concept of wearing anything that would mean you wanted people to throw rocks at you is so entertaining that perhaps that was their motivation.
My son Joe at the age of 8 is quite a smooth dresser. He treasures a Brooks Brothers tie his father brought home from an overseas trip.

He would not be at all impressed with this range either.
Sarah O. said…
As you know, Thom Browne is the designer of the Black Fleece line. I posted a few pictures of Thom's haute couture line a couple of months ago.

Gotta hand it to BB for their new unstaunchiness!
olivespearls said…
LB could easily come home with this one day, saying, "But look! it all matches!"
MsCellania said…
I think this is actually brilliant marketing. Alot of us are clicking on BB's site, just to check out the hideousness of the Black Sheep line. And with so many clicks, some of us are bound to stray into the normal BB site. And possibly buy something.
Crazy as a fox, comes to mind...
Joke said…
Thom Browne -- who probably was Tom Brown until recently -- is precisely the sort of designer whom I'd rather be flogged than wear.

You look like an imbecile.

-J.
h&b said…
Sherlock Holmes meets Burberry meets America, what ho !

We order BB pants via the intermanet via the US. Or the mister stocks up on them on business trips.

He don't look good in a full check.
Suse said…
My eyes are dripping blood ...
Major Bedhead said…
It looks like someone rolled out of bed wearing the mattress ticking.

Popular Posts