Wednesday, June 18, 2008

On a lighter note.(UPDATED)

I realize my readership has been deprived of any cookery advice, recipes, etc., from me for epochs. Sorry.

Now, when I need both cheering up (as I do now) and sustenance (as I did about 20 minutes ago) the only logical choice, for me, is a sandwich. Given that I was limited to the stuff on hand -- admittedly, a self-imposed restriction -- here is what I did.

Last night I had roasted off a nice Kobe* beef London Broil** and I had accidentally taken it from the ideal state that is the cusp between rare and medium-rare into fully medium-rare territory. The silver lining to this very dark cloud is that any leftover beef yields a damned fine sandwich.

Normally I take whatever bread I have on hand for sandwich making purposes; which in this case were ciabatta rolls I did not bake because I am spectacularly hopeless as a baker, and give its insides a very thin coating of mayonnaise, to act as a barrier between the crumb and the filling, lest the bread go soggy. The reason I opt for a thin (as opposed to thick) layer of mayonnaise is that, generally speaking, I do not care for the taste of plain mayonnaise. I can post a recipe for my Utterly Cheating Mayonnaise, if asked to do so.

Because I utterly love the taste combination, I generally ply the thing with horseradish. Fresh would have been glorious but, alas, all I had was the jarred stuff which isn't even fractionally as sharp, but still nice. Also, I was out of mayonnaise, therefore I had to improvise by using a bit of Cæsar salad dressing. (Recipe available upon request.)

The trick to getting a nice mouthfeel with beef in a sandwich (as well as a pleasant chew) is to slice it thin. This allows for full and even coverage of the bread without having to overload the sandwich. So I did as I prescribed.

As you may recall, I love the combination of gorgonzola and beef (especially beef with a good, serious sear to the outside), so I usedsome leftover cheese to crumble into the sandwich. Since a bit of sharpness is also nice, I would have adored some translucent slices of red onion or shallot, but all that I had were spring onions. Which were not bad.

...and that was lunch.

Now, in an ideal world, the recipe would have featured: 1) Some arugula/rocket, 2) the aforesaid red onion slices and fresh horseradish in lieu of the actual items used 3) possibly some thin slices of tomato, but I haven't made up my mind on this front. The ciabatta worked perfectly and, I'm thinking, in a party situation, I'd make this idealized version with a long ciabatta loaf and then slice it into thin, two-bite portions to function as cocktail fare.

-J.

*the breed -- a.k.a. Wagyu -- not the actual beef from Kobe in Japan

**which is neither from London nor broiled, but rather some cut from the sirloin

Posted by Joke at 1:05 PM

5 Comments

  • Blogger Jaye Joseph posted at 3:36 PM, June 18, 2008  
    God that looks good.
  • Blogger Badger posted at 8:39 PM, June 18, 2008  
    (a) This is totally cheating, but I will give you a pass since you apparently found and effectively utilized the camera cable thingie.

    (2) If you don't yet have yourself a copy of Mario Batali's Italian Grill, RUN, do not walk, and purchase same. You will flat-out love it. (Why? Okay. A whole chapter on grilling pizzas/flatbreads. Multiple spit-roasted dishes. Discussion of brining and THEN grilling. A recipe for homemade ricotta IN A GRILLING BOOK. Added to which, I practically hear YOUR voice screaming from every page. Just buy it.)
  • Blogger shula posted at 4:00 AM, June 19, 2008  
    I hereby request Caesar salad dressing.

    How is possible that you cannot bake?

    Dude, it's so much easier than what you do.
  • Blogger Joke posted at 6:54 AM, June 19, 2008  
    I should specify that it is the successful baking of bread which eludes me.

    Cæsar salad is, incidentally, an Italo-Mexican hybrid. It was invented in Mexico by Cesare Cardini and hauled to the USA by Hollywood types who'd pop across the border to drink during the dark days of Prohibition.

    -J.
  • Blogger meggie posted at 7:35 AM, June 20, 2008  
    I could almost eat beef for that!
  • Post a Comment

    « Home