New and Improved! Now with 0% domestic strife!

There are some things, conceptual things, that I despise with every fiber of my being; to the very core of my innermost hunk of marrow.

Among these are losing things. For a brief shining moment, during that gap of time where I had made my egress from the nest but had not yet established a nest of my own, I lost nothing. There are some drawbacks to bachelor life, but losing things are not among them.

The other thing I really hate is having a plan derailed. I had a plan to become (in due course) President of the USA, and that was derailed less than a month from implementation and it took me years to get over it, although I still get a twinge now and again.

The plan which has gone up in a cloud of flaming splinters and acrid smoke involved eBay. One of my favorite eBaying habits is preying upon the abysmal spelling skills in evidence today. The steals I have lavished upon myself as a result of typos, etc. would stun a bison. I had, for the better part of a week, been stalking a particular item -- a leather luggage set from a VERY, VERY upmarket purveyor that was ideal for weekend jaunts with my beloved, without our issue in tow -- keeping tabs on it, seeing if the seller could be bothered to spell the maker's name properly. I kid thee not when I say this set retails for almost £3K, and I was on track to get it for 1/40th of that.

One has this sort of thing, and one readily envisions casually tossing a weekend's worth of raiments into the ridiculous old Italian car and driving a couple of hours to one of the posh beachside resorts in Palm Beach or the Gulf Coast just in the company of one's beloved. We did something like this about five years ago. It was our first "alone" weekend since NTS had been born and we were so overwhelmed by the romantic stillness of it all that we immediately leapt upon the bed and...slept. And slept. And, because I am a manly man, riddled with manliness, we slept some more.

And, to further dash any romance attached to the historic context (without, I hope, tainting the future) we didn't do this in any Italianate sports car, but in a minivan. Our luggage consisted of some squashy canvas stuff...and during the return drive, also a rolltop desk. So we must apply a generous helping of soft focus to our hindsight.

Still, given some judicious planning, we could merrily toss whatever impossibly posh luggage we have into the otherwise ridiculously impractical car and ride to the impossibly posh resort (conveniently, these are practically free during the broiling tropical summer off-season) laughing in a sing-song way.

But the seller pulled the auction saying the "item was no longer available." Which is code language for "I'm not going to sell it for 1/40th the retail price!" Sure, we could still go to the impossibly posh resort in the impressive car, but once the hotel minions see that our luggage is nothing but a motley array of squashiness bearing the logos of enterprises who flung them at us as samples, we will be pariahs at the posh resort, mocked by the other cheapskates perspiring freely alongside us in a half-empty hotel.

ARGH!

-J.

Comments

shula said…
The truth is that Ebay is just not the fun place it used to be, when sellers can pull out just because it isn't going well for them.

I've been ripped off so often lately that I think I might even be cured of my Ebayitis.

You Manly Man.
Joke said…
For the most part, the joy of eBay evaporated when people decided to make it their chosen profession. I've come to the bitter conclusion that anyone who is selling more than 3 things at once is likely not worth the effort.

-J.
Joke said…
For the most part, the joy of eBay evaporated when people decided to make it their chosen profession. I've come to the bitter conclusion that anyone who is selling more than 3 things at once is likely not worth the effort.

-J.
MsCellania said…
Have you emailed them and offered 1/35th?
Times are tough; they just might nibble.
meggie said…
I have refrained from Ebay for the sole reason, I am such a sore loser. I recently had a friend bid for me, & lost the item by 50cents. Ludicrous!! Cured!
MsCellania said…
Show up empty handed, like you and TFBYM are showing up for an - ah - nooner.
You can fit 2 toothbrushes + a squeeze 2-use toothpaste packet in her handbag, right?
Do the walk of shame in yesterday's clothing and set the tongue's a wagging.
Spend what you woulda for the luggage on a fabulous dinner, instead.

Popular Posts