Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Sometimes you have to abandon your principles and do what's right.

I know most of you will find this tough to believe but...I'm not perfect. TFBIM, were she ever to get a blog of her own* would happily eat up valuable bandwidth expressing, with a luxury of detail, my follies and foibles. She probably could go a full month without repeating herself.

At any rate, among these faults is my procrastination, which sometimes hits the "legendary" level. A great example of this goes all the way back to my last year at school. In order to graduate from the Jesuit Academic Boot Camp, one had to write a "senior thesis" on some important global issue. I chose world hunger (its history, causes, possible solutions, etc., etc.) and by all accounts this thesis was to be something of a tome. Which is why I started it 2 days before it was due.

And then spent 48 hours straight typing, fueled by ever increasing amounts of bad coffee. Keep in mind this was during the Age of Typewriters. I managed to grind it out and, forestalling a caffeinated delirium, turned it in to receive a pretty decent-enough score.

Regardless, the abysmal habit of putting things off has stayed with me.

In the spirit of mea culpa I hereby declare that yesterday I mailed off something I had promised a blogpal a while ago.

"A while ago" is code language for...April.

...of 2007.

It cost me an extra $1.18 in postage because the postal rates have increased** twice [pause while the above sinks in] since I promised to mail it off.

-J.

* Ha. As if.
** Memo to the Postmaster General: Could you please increase the prices in one lump and keep me out of the post office for the next five years?

Posted by Joke at 9:08 AM

8 Comments

  • OpenID olivespearls posted at 10:19 AM, July 09, 2008  
    You'll find no judgment here. And I'd love to see TFBYM guest blog...
  • Blogger teachergirl posted at 10:44 AM, July 09, 2008  
    Nor from me. I am a notorious procrastinator but finish in a blaze of glory.
  • Blogger Poppy Buxom posted at 10:52 AM, July 09, 2008  
    I'm offering you this pearl FOR FREE because that's the way I roll: get thee to a post office to buy lots and lots of "forever" stamps. They will always be good for first class postage, no matter how high the rates go. Therefore they're pretty much the best investment out there. And won't you feel smug affixing a stamp that cost 43 cents to a letter when the first-class rate is 75 cents.

    I tell you this hoping against hope that I'm not the blogging pal who's getting a package, sitting as I am surrounded by boxes containing "some assembly required" furniture.
  • Blogger Joke posted at 12:22 PM, July 09, 2008  
    Dammit.

    You're not the pal to whom I sent the item, but I DO owe you some stuff. I figured to drag it along +/- 7/25-26ish

    -J.
  • Blogger bluemountainsmary posted at 5:14 PM, July 09, 2008  
    Procrastination is one of the many foibles I possess that I am trying to improve upon.

    Without much success.
  • Blogger Joke posted at 5:21 PM, July 09, 2008  
    BMM,

    Don't fret. You'll get it eventually.

    -J.
  • Blogger Joke posted at 5:24 PM, July 09, 2008  
    P.S. My wife is ambivalent about this whole new interweb thing; her feelings oscillating between moderate dislike and hatred. She is certain whomever is the next blogpal I meet in real life -- she was rather disappointed in how charming she thought Poppy and TSMPM were and how much she liked them -- is a serial murderer who'll turn the whole Joke household into a fine brunoise.

    So, the contingency of her blogging is wildly remote.
  • Blogger Stomper Girl posted at 11:35 PM, July 14, 2008  
    TFBYM sounds like Fixit.
  • Post a Comment

    « Home