Grand Meme Larceny

Pilfered shamelessly from the lovely and gracious H&B.

1. How do you like your eggs?
Cooked. Seriously. I love eggs in pretty much any manifestation in which they are available.
Poached, over-easy, sunny-side, hardboiled, coddled, scrambled, omelette/frittata/strata. It truly is all good.

2. How do you take your coffee/tea?
Coffee: Espresso, preferably a "ristretto," somewhat on the sweet side. 2-3 a day is average.

Tea: Orange Pekoe when reading, or Japanese Green tea when wanting a lighter, more cleansing-ish breakfast. Sweetened with honey, no milk.

3. Favorite breakfast food:
I quote H&B: "I love a full breakfast. Any time of day." For me this means
a) eggs
b) pancakes/waffles/french toast (w. maple syrup; Grade A Dark)
c) bacon or breakfast sausage
d) orange juice (or maybe a Bloody Mary)
e) espresso

4. Peanut butter:
Only to make peanut sauce, in which case I use Smucker's no-salt added organic. Hate it by itself.

5. What kind of dressing on your salad?
a) Bacon & blue cheese dressing*
b) Basic citronette**

6. Coke or Pepsi?
Kosher-for-Passover Coke.

7. You’re feeling lazy. What do you make?
Spaghetti with marinara.

8. You’re feeling really lazy. What kind of pizza do you order?
Prosciutto & mushrooms.

9. You feel like cooking. What do you make?
See my published works.

10. Do any foods bring back good memories?
Not really.

11. Do any foods bring back bad memories?
Liver.

12. Do any foods remind you of someone?
Not really.

13. Is there a food you refuse to eat?
Aside from the obvious (insects, etc.) innards are pretty high on my refusal list.

14. What was your favorite food as a child?
Bunless cheeseburger drowning in ketchup.

15. Is there a food that you hated as a child but now like?
Not really.

16. Is there a food that you liked as a child but now hate?
Chicken noodle soup from an envelope.

17. Favorite fruit and vegetable:
Fruit: banana...maybe lime.
Vegetable: asparagus - grilled

18. Favorite junk food:
Tortilla chips.

19. Favorite between meal snack:
Whatever hits my umami button.

20. Do you have any weird food habits?
I'd rather cook than eat out. I also like having the right plate/utensil for whatever I'm cooking.

21. You’re on a diet. What food(s) do you fill up on?

Sparkling water and salads.

22. You’re off your diet. Now what would you like?
Steak.

23. How spicy do you order Indian/Thai?
"Native" hot.

24. Can I get you a drink?
I bet you can.

25. Red or White Wine?
What am I eating?

26. Favorite dessert?
Cheesecake. Tiramisu.

27. The perfect nightcap?
Not really. A quart of sparkling water is nice. (I am perennially thirsty)

Tag yourself at leisure.

-J.

* 1 c. mayonnaise (I like homemade)
½ c. crumbled gorgonzola or other blue cheese
½ c. half and half
2 T creme fraiche (sour cream or sour half & half)
1 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ t Worcestershire sauce
¼ t teaspoon coarse salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2-3 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled

In a food processor or blender, zap the mayonnaise, half of the blue cheese, half & half, creme fraiche, lemon juice, Worcestershire, and salt, until smooth. Gently stir in the remaining blue cheese (you want the chunky bits), the bacon and season with pepper to taste. Use now or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

** 1 teaspoon garlic, mashed to a pulp
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon mustard (I suggest Dijon)
Salt and pepper to taste

In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard and oil until emulsified. THIS STEP IS KEY. Once it's all a homogeneous mixture, add the lemon and salt and pepper. You add some herbs -- chives are nice -- if you like.

Comments

Badger said…
I'ma steal this. CANNOT resist the food memes, yo.
BabelBabe said…
that dressing? sounds DIVINE. I'd be the only one who would eat it though.
HEATHER said…
I'm with babelbabe. I am going to steal that dressing recipe.
Joke said…
BabBab,

Hmm. Something you think is divine and nobody to pilfer it from you?

Sounds like a win-win.

-J.
h+b said…
I love blue cheese dressing - although the mix is important - not too stinky/blue/old socks.

You may remember, it's not available here in a commercial form, and is rarely made/offered when out at an eating establishment.

Like the Ranch, I make my own - will have to try your recipe..
Stomper Girl said…
And now my kids love noodles from a packet, and they make me feel slightly ill. Ate too many when I was a student.

Have you a good tiramisu recipe? I adore it, but never have it these days due to not waitressing at Italian restaurants any more, or in fact eating out on a regular basis. And Fixit (amazingly for someone with his sweet tooth) doesn't like it. But I could eat it slowly over a while if I made a batch, all that alcohol means it keeps quite well, I'd reckon.

Popular Posts