My plan for surviving whatever may be ahead.

So, perhaps, in these trying times -- and they may get trying-er -- a palliative might suit the national mood. I hereby proffer my version of the frozen margarita. (You'll doubtlessly not be the least surprised to know I have a version for the "rocks" and the "straight-up" margarita as well. Those will follow should demand warrant.)
We start with a couple of limes (one per person), Cointreau and Cuervo white tequila; in some markets it's called Cuervo Clásico and in others Cuervo Blanco or Cuervo Silver...same diff. (If this were a straight-up margarita, I'd use a 100% blue agave tequila -- I like Patrón Silver -- but we're not doing that this go-around.)
Key to a proper frozen drink is getting the ice shaved properly. The average blender can't get all of the ice shaved down, so it's best to handle that function separately, ahead of time. I picked up that Oster ice shaver for PEANUTS on eBay. (A toy snow-cone machine also works marvels, if you can stand the shame of having a Snoopy as part of your batterie.)
Cut the limes.
Juice said limes.
Put juice in the blender. (You may want to add a few tablespoons of superfine sugar if you like your margaritas not as dry, or as much as a 1/8 of cup per person if you really like 'em on the sweet side. In the frozen version I like them just off-dry, thanks for asking.)
One ounce of Cointreau, one jigger of plain ol' white/blanco/silver Cuervo tequila per person (Seriously, any tequila more posh than this would be wasted, as the subtle nuances would get lost amid all that ice and coldness.)
Shave the ice. (If you are planning to shave a LOT of ice, you may want to do so into a colander over a bowl, to prevent any undue dilution.)
Put all in the blender. Blend (2 second pulse-another 2 second pulse-run at max. speed for 10 seconds-2 second pulse-2 second pulse).
After blending take out a margarita glass from the freezer.

Serve. You are now in good shape to brave the TV news, newspapers, and other aggravations.

Repeat as needed.

-J.

Comments

olivespearls said…
Pure torture for those of us who can't drink. Perhaps you could include a little recipe for Cointreau-flavored Vicodin? 'Course, it's hard to balance a lime wedge on the side of a pill...
Joke said…
Hmm.

Now I'll have to work on something lime-ish, sweetened with agave nectar and featuring orange bitters -- can you have bitters? -- to function as a Faux-garita to chase a Vicodin or Xanax.

-J.
Badger said…
FROZEN margaritas? Oh DUDE.
DEAR GOD


You're turning into Pioneer Woman.
HEATHER said…
Dude! I'm coming to your house for margaritas! I'll bring the chips and salsa! LOL!!
shula said…
You sure do have a LOT of gadgets.
Joke said…
Badge - Remember I said "You'll doubtlessly not be the least surprised to know I have a version for the 'rocks' and the 'straight-up' margarita as well. Those will follow should demand warrant."

The frozen version is the favorite of my beloved.

MY tipple of choice remains the Bloody Mary. (No, not frozen.)

-J.
Suse said…
I like the limes.

I really like the limes.
teachergirl said…
God bless you. Feel free to post the other versions as this is the best advice I've received since all hell began to break loose.
meggie said…
Damn! Drooling....

Popular Posts