Thursday, April 02, 2009

In which Joke reveals he has created a monster.

NOS walked into my room last night, interrupting a very enjoyable read.

He issued a preamble. Something along the lines of:

NOS: Dad, do you remember that you said that if I was doing really well in school I could have any car I wanted?
Me: (suspicious) Any car within reason.
NOS: Yeah. That.
Me: Uh huh.
NOS: When would that be?
Me: When you turn 16.
NOS: OK. That's what I thought.
[pause]
NOS (cont'd.): But if I do really well this year could I get a treat?
Me: Sure, depends on how well and what the treat is.
NOS: A tuxedo.
Me: Well, as soon as you have a reason to wear one, we can talk about it. What do you need a tuxedo for?
NOS: Nothing. It'd just be cool to have.

Was I this insufferable when I was 11½?

-J.

Posted by Joke at 9:16 AM

9 Comments

  • Blogger HEATHER posted at 10:06 AM, April 02, 2009  
    BWHAHAHA!!! This is excellent!!
  • Blogger Poppy Buxom posted at 11:08 AM, April 02, 2009  
    I hate to say it, but you'd have to ask your parents. Or your sister. And the answer would probably be "yes."
  • Anonymous Jen posted at 11:45 AM, April 02, 2009  
    This made my morning. And here we thought the Bar Mitzvah was the rite of passage.
  • Blogger Badger posted at 6:16 PM, April 02, 2009  
    I have done the math, and all signs point to YES.
  • Blogger kim at allconsuming posted at 11:50 PM, April 02, 2009  
    I thought you were born in a tux, so there you go.
  • Blogger Joke posted at 9:07 AM, April 03, 2009  
    Since reaching my more-or-less permanent height, it is appalling how many of the bloody things I have owned.
  • Blogger blackbird posted at 9:42 PM, April 03, 2009  
    The way I see it? THIS is precisely why your parents hoped you'd have children.
  • Blogger BabelBabe posted at 8:42 AM, April 07, 2009  
    I am sure you were.
  • Anonymous Judi posted at 12:18 AM, April 11, 2009  
    I would bet my house on the affirmative..(I don't actually own a house but you get my drift)
  • Post a Comment

    « Home