Sunday, May 17, 2009

For further information.

A couple of days ago I posted, buried deep in a meandering "Fauxlynesian" entry, my recipe for the Mai-Tai.

Well, for the visual learners in the gallery, here it is in a photo-essay format. Because I am awesome like that.

Okay.

Here is the road company of ingredients: (back to front, left to right)
Rock candy syrup
Orgeat
Steel half of the Boston shaker
Rum (today's star is Barceló Añejo)
Cointreau
Glass half of Boston shaker, with a clip-on strainer (OXO, which is not only the very best, it's also stupidly cheap)
Lime, atop the lime squeezer (were I to be making a bucket of this, instead of one, I'd use the electric juicer, otherwise, I'd wind up with forearms like Popeye)
We start by crushing ice. The first batch of which goes into the glass. (This glass? Birthday gift from the extremely lovely and monumentally gracious Poppy.)
For added cold-related excellentness, I put it in the freezer, on standby.
And we start building our beverage.
Start with 2 oz. of rum
½ oz. of Cointreau
½ oz. of rock candy syrup
½ oz. of orgeat
1 oz of lime juice.
Not only do I slice the lime in half, but I also score each half pretty deeply into quadrants. To get maximum juicefulness.
To be safe, I stick the juicer into the steel part of the shaker, lest I spray everything within a 10' (3m) radius with lime juice, especially my eyes.
...and here we have the post-squeezery phase.

Believe me there was an ounce of juice (and a tiny bit over) to be had from that small lime.

Drop the spent lime shells into the glass half of the shaker. Fill the steel half with crushed ice.

Assemble the shaker. When you do this make sure you squeeze the steel half ever-so-slightly and that you push and twist the glass half. This creates a seal. Important if you don't want to sprinkle any Mai-Tai all over the place.

Shake until you have a good frost -- not merely condensation -- on the outside of the steel half, then another 5 seconds. For those of you in arid climes, figure 30-45 seconds, total.

Retrieve your vessel from the recesses of the freezer, and pour through the strainer. It is very important you pour into fresh "dry" ice -- not dry ice, mind you.

Garnish with the spent lime shell (or some cherries, pineapple chunk, orange slice, etc.) and enjoy.

-J.


Posted by Joke at 4:52 PM

5 Comments

  • Blogger Poppy Buhk-suhm posted at 7:29 PM, May 17, 2009  
    Dah-ROOL. DAH-ROOL.

    BTW Trader Vic had a bartender who made the best Mai Tais in the place. Better than TV's. So he copied everything the other bartender did, but his (TV's) weren't as good. Turns out the other bartender insisted on squeezing the limes with his hands. TV used a squeezer.

    I'd say a taste test is called for.

    There. I've given you your next blog entry. You're welcome!
  • Blogger Caro posted at 10:33 PM, May 17, 2009  
    I wish I had one of those right now to anesthetize myself against the millionth refrain of "Can I hold a kitten?"

    ARGH!
  • Blogger Badger posted at 7:16 AM, May 18, 2009  
    Okay, (a) a mai tai once cured one of my in-progress migraines (true story!) and (2) I have that exact same 2-oz. measurey doohickey and it is one of my favorite things ever.
  • Blogger blackbird posted at 7:27 AM, May 18, 2009  
    Is it bad that I want one now? As I leave for work?

    (that cannot be the "right" straw)
    (does it also take an umbrella?)
  • Blogger Joke posted at 1:08 PM, May 18, 2009  
    Badge -- Those OXO jiggers kick arse. They even have metric measurements for those in oppressed lands.

    bb -- No, that is not the correct straw. That is the straw on hand, as it were. The paper umbrella serves the purpose of shielding the surface of the beverage from any marauding insects AND as the spearing device for the cherry/pineapple.
  • Post a Comment

    « Home