Saturday, May 01, 2010

...in which our hero realizes he has, officially, become ancient and decrepit.

My cell* phone died today.

So I went to get another. For reasons which have yet to be adequately explored, when you go to the phone store, you will see manifestly inferior phones for a patillion dollars, and then you'll see phones with enough computing capacity to suit three of NASA and most of NORAD for a mere bag-of-shells.

There are arcane and byzantine rules governing the pricing of these, even more absurd and impenetrable than those governing airline tickets. But, the price for what I wanted was right, and I leapt at it. (Cynics would say that what I wanted was because of what was cheapest, not YOU, of course, but cynics...)

It's a touchscreen phone with a moderate amount of bells and whistles. Came with a pouch, and an ear thingy which I'll lose soon, and chargers and so forth. Then I got it out of the box and started to try certain features, which began to vex me almost immediately.

So, reflexively, I turned to NOS and said "You. YOU. Set this bloody thing up."

And he did. In 2 minutes.

I am now practically a fossil.

-J.

*mobile

Posted by Joke at 9:37 PM

6 Comments

  • Blogger HEATHER posted at 10:17 PM, May 01, 2010  
    Oh dear, I am so sorry! ;-)
  • Blogger Stomper Girl posted at 10:27 PM, May 01, 2010  
    That's funny. Also. You say bloody? Pardon my ignorance, but I didn't really think many Americans used that word. We love it here.
  • Blogger Paola posted at 2:59 AM, May 02, 2010  
    Sadly I've been realizing that for a while now. There are so many things that will bring me to hit that wall and ME don't like it.
  • Blogger blackbird posted at 7:39 AM, May 02, 2010  
    Any time something in our office needs tech assistance I say: WE need a 14 year old boy. Most folks know what I'm talking about.
  • Blogger Badger posted at 1:52 PM, May 02, 2010  
    Dude. Welcome to my world.
  • Blogger Joke posted at 9:41 AM, May 04, 2010  
    It's appalling. Last week I knew everything and now I am a sniveling cretin.
  • Post a Comment

    « Home