Thursday, September 02, 2010

Hubris breeds nemesis.

Assiduous readers of this blog (both of you) during the halcyon days of the madcap 2004ish-2007ish and during the somewhat more serious semi-postapocalyptic post-2008 world are due, I believe, something of an explanation.

I had intended for that explanation to be issued more-or-less nowish, but it will have to keep.

Y'see, Internet, I didn't and don't want to be the sort of blogger who'd comment on his spleen (or gall bladder, I'm not choosy) mid-surgery. I want to say "Oh, yes, [internal organ of choice] blew up, but all is fine now."

I thought (as I had thought in several previous instances) that the New Important Project was about to sprout forth its oft-promised fruits and, with the first of said fruits in hand and the inevitable bumper crop behind me, I could sit down and tell you The Tale of how it all went base-over-apex, but it finally righted itself.

There had been some developments in that area to buoy me in the direction of thinking the day of the spellbinding narrative was soon upon me. I'd put a decanter of something worthy at my elbow, warm up both index fingers and start composing at the keyboard.

I'd spin a tale of blindness, shock, betrayal, family affection and love, craven depravity, resilience, perseverance, faith, loyalty, setback, ingenuity, and eventually, unequivocal triumph.

Then, of course, fires arose (again) that require my putting out (again) and which alters the schedule of my return to this blog as an amiable and carefree host. Notice I didn't say said return has been derailed. No. But, like a train in some 3rd World country it's been rescheduled for arrival.

Again.

You may, foolishly, think this has altered my sunny disposition. You'd be, foolishly, right.

That all said, I know things will be fine in the end.

I just wish the end would arrive when expected.

Posted by Joke at 3:33 PM

12 Comments

  • Blogger Badger posted at 5:08 PM, September 02, 2010  
    I have no idea what you just said. Will read this again when I'm not quite as sober and hope for the best.
  • Blogger Joke posted at 7:33 PM, September 02, 2010  
    Cliffs Notes: "I was pretty sure I'd have great news. But the great news have been delayed. Again."
  • Blogger blackbird posted at 8:39 PM, September 02, 2010  
    This is the story of our lives. It has happened so often that I've ceased planning the post in my head, no longer have the pithy post-apocalyptic phrase awaiting, cannot fathom how to explain it.
    I've learned that there are, no longer, ups and downs in fortune - it's all just one big flat line. And, compared to so many, with such profound tragedies befalling them, I have nothing to whine about.

    I send you (further) strength and patience.
  • Blogger kim at allconsuming posted at 9:14 PM, September 02, 2010  
    What Badger said.

    Then I read your explanation.

    And then Blackbird's comment.

    So now - what Badger said AND what Blackbird said.
  • Blogger Caro posted at 9:48 PM, September 02, 2010  
    I hope to read that post soon. In the meantime, there is no reason you can't still enjoy a decanter of something good. Best wishes.
  • Blogger Paola posted at 4:14 AM, September 04, 2010  
    What with me being Italian and you writing in such an eloquent way which makes me feel ignorant, I will stick with Bb all the way as I totally agree what she said!
    And, I've learned that a drink can help much more than we all think.
  • Blogger shula posted at 7:57 PM, September 04, 2010  
    What Badger and Blackbird and Kim said.
  • Anonymous Joke posted at 4:43 PM, September 05, 2010  
    ln order to recharge, l'm spending the long weekend away and shutting off my brain.
  • Blogger BreadBox posted at 9:10 PM, September 05, 2010  
    We'll wait. And keep you in our hopes.

    N.
  • Blogger Mean Mama posted at 3:32 PM, September 14, 2010  
    While your discretion is admirable (baffling, but admirable) please know the peanut gallery is cheering you on!
  • Anonymous Jen posted at 11:34 PM, September 22, 2010  
    I complete understand this, and I'm sober.

    There.
  • Blogger Poppy Buxom posted at 11:53 AM, September 24, 2010  
    OK, here's a suggestion. Write the whole thing out. As fiction. Then sell the manuscript and become my second pal who's gone from blogger to best-selling author.
  • Post a Comment

    « Home