Friday, February 10, 2017

Just in time for Tiki Month 2017

For those among the assembled who have not read my other drivel in other corners of the internet (currently being consolidated here) you should know about my pal Doug Winship and his Annual Tiki Month revels. Now, since Doug is one of Nature's Aristocracy, I like to help out and get into the spirit of the thing. This year, I wanted to tackle a Tiki drink the various, er, variations of which I've enjoyed but never, y'know, quite loved. The Navy Grog (Trader Vic's and Don the Beachcomber's) and the let's-not-call-it-Navy Yeoman's Grog from the Mai Kai, plus other places' variants (generally going around and doing business under the the guise of Admiral's Grog, Captain's Grog, Sailor's Grog, Chief Petty Officer's Grog, Ensign's Grog or similar nomenclatural shenanigans).

It has been said the big improvement in the evolution from Don to Vic was the latter's addition of allspice/pimento dram. Here, alas, I must sharply diverge with the fashionable trends in modern mixological circles. My problem is that the moment so much as a molecular trace of allspice/pimento dram enters the equation, that's all I taste. While the Mai-Kai version features this development, it also includes vanilla syrup and since, to my palate, both this and grapefruit juice play nicely with cinnamon syrup, I went with the latter instead of the allspice/pimento dram. (I fully realize that many people have had their hair set aflame by this preceding statement.)

While I was at it, I tweaked the garnish (house made cocktail cherries) and the ice (Don used the famous ice cone; Vic, crushed ice).

Because it'd be not the done thing to stick with the original name, I changed it slightly. I give you...

The Commodore's Grog

¾ oz fresh-squeezed lime juice 
¾ oz fresh-squeezed (preferable) white grapefruit juice
1 oz Demerara rum (I suggest El Dorado 5 or El Dorado 8), 
1 oz dark Jamaican rum (anything from Kohala Bay, Smith & Cross, to Coruba to even Myer's will work) 
1 oz white rum (I like Bacardi 1919, but I use Cruzan when quenching a horde)
¼ oz vanilla syrup
¼ oz cinnamon syrup
1 oz honey mix (50-50 honey and hot water, stirred to dissolve)

Shake with ice, then strain into a glass that has an oversized ice cube and 1 oz club soda resting within.

-J.


Posted by JMG at 9:00 PM

0 Comments

Post a Comment

« Home