Dammit.
I have pinkeye.
The good news is that I get to go home (whence I am scribbling) and catch one of my guilty pleasures: Whatever the Hell program Gordon Ramsay is doing that BBC America is airing. Now, I like GR for probably wildly different reasons than the rest of the world.
Some people just like GR's shows for the same reasons people stop and gawk at train wrecks. They hope he will lose his temper to such an extent that he'll fillet a waiter with a paring knife or something.
Me? I like watching him because I like seeing people who are REALLY good at what they do while they are doing it. I like to see how their minds work, cope, adjust. When you stop and consider it, for all his rep. as a "bad boy chef" his food is not "bad boy food." It's subtle and nuanced, and delicate and inventive. Jamie Oliver, to throw out another Britfoodie, is generally considered a "nice boy chef" and his food is far more crash-bang, loudly-flavored and casual.
Anyway, while I go nurse my sad little eyeball, I leave you with this great piece on GR.
-J.
The good news is that I get to go home (whence I am scribbling) and catch one of my guilty pleasures: Whatever the Hell program Gordon Ramsay is doing that BBC America is airing. Now, I like GR for probably wildly different reasons than the rest of the world.
Some people just like GR's shows for the same reasons people stop and gawk at train wrecks. They hope he will lose his temper to such an extent that he'll fillet a waiter with a paring knife or something.
Me? I like watching him because I like seeing people who are REALLY good at what they do while they are doing it. I like to see how their minds work, cope, adjust. When you stop and consider it, for all his rep. as a "bad boy chef" his food is not "bad boy food." It's subtle and nuanced, and delicate and inventive. Jamie Oliver, to throw out another Britfoodie, is generally considered a "nice boy chef" and his food is far more crash-bang, loudly-flavored and casual.
Anyway, while I go nurse my sad little eyeball, I leave you with this great piece on GR.
-J.

Comments
Also, if you can find a nursing mom to squirt milk in your eye, that works great for the pinkeye.
You're welcome!
-J.
I love Gordon Ramsay. I don't think he's got anything going on BBC right now, though, does he? And I like him for the same reason. The shouty-shouty thing gets on my nerves a bit, but the man really can cook. If he'd just shut up and for the love of god and all that is holy, STOP taking his shirt off (yish - flabby, middle-aged, British maleflesh...gag), it would be even better, but that's probably asking too much.
Jamie Oliver makes me go all giddy. And I know his food is casual, but it's tasty.
Sometimes I wish I could act like that and get away with it.
Alas, I am not a famous chef.
He adores his wife and family too, and I always have a soft warm melty spot for sweet guys.
He's not so tough ;)