Tiki Month 2018
Every February, the formidable Doug Winship goes native, and gives his gins a break by delving deep into Tiki drinks.
I, being an amiable sort, chip in with an entry or two. This year, I decided to futz around with the Scorpion Bowl. Naturally, I went directly to the source: Trader Vic’s Bartender’s Guide (Revised) and used that as the launching pad.
Since a bowl's capacity may vary, here are my proportions, per INDIVIDUAL serving. Scale up as required.
2oz light Puerto Rican/USVI Rum (Cruzan, if quenching a regiment)
1oz cognac (Martell VS is my go-to for cocktails)
2oz orange juice, preferably fresh squeezed
1½oz lemon juice, ditto
and...do not freak out...
1½oz orgeat. No, that's not a typo.
Blend - traditionally with a top down blender, although I prefer an old fashioned Oster with a steel jar, and fitted with the "milkshake" blade - with 8oz crushed ice for 3 seconds.
Here's the key: To my palate, the published* recipe is a citrus riot. So I kept adding extra orgeat, ¼oz at a time, until the orange and lemon calmed down, and stopped bullying all the other flavors. Note: I used my homemade orgeat, so you may need a touch less or a touch more depending on how rich in almond oil yours is. Orgeat doesn't really contribute that much sweetness, as it does dialing down acidity and ethanolic hotness, which is why aged rums SING with a properly balanced Mai Tai.
Now you can taste the orange, the lemon, the almond of the orgeat, the cognac, and the rum, like never before.
-J.
P.S. You're supposed to garnish it with a gardenia. Meh. I like the pyromaniac touch better.
* Epochs ago, in a discussion with Jeff "Beachbum" Berry, we were talking about how Don protected his recipes with a fanatical level of secrecy. It seemed odd that Vic wouldn't, until you realize - this when we compared the official Mai Tai recipe from the books with one in a letter mailed to a fan - he was hiding them in plain sight, by publishing inaccurate (in varying degrees) versions in his books. Most of the time he was playing fast and loose with the orgeat and/or Rock Candy syrup. Keep that in mind Junior Sleuths.
I, being an amiable sort, chip in with an entry or two. This year, I decided to futz around with the Scorpion Bowl. Naturally, I went directly to the source: Trader Vic’s Bartender’s Guide (Revised) and used that as the launching pad.
Since a bowl's capacity may vary, here are my proportions, per INDIVIDUAL serving. Scale up as required.
2oz light Puerto Rican/USVI Rum (Cruzan, if quenching a regiment)
1oz cognac (Martell VS is my go-to for cocktails)
2oz orange juice, preferably fresh squeezed
1½oz lemon juice, ditto
and...do not freak out...
1½oz orgeat. No, that's not a typo.
Blend - traditionally with a top down blender, although I prefer an old fashioned Oster with a steel jar, and fitted with the "milkshake" blade - with 8oz crushed ice for 3 seconds.
Here's the key: To my palate, the published* recipe is a citrus riot. So I kept adding extra orgeat, ¼oz at a time, until the orange and lemon calmed down, and stopped bullying all the other flavors. Note: I used my homemade orgeat, so you may need a touch less or a touch more depending on how rich in almond oil yours is. Orgeat doesn't really contribute that much sweetness, as it does dialing down acidity and ethanolic hotness, which is why aged rums SING with a properly balanced Mai Tai.
Now you can taste the orange, the lemon, the almond of the orgeat, the cognac, and the rum, like never before.
-J.
P.S. You're supposed to garnish it with a gardenia. Meh. I like the pyromaniac touch better.
* Epochs ago, in a discussion with Jeff "Beachbum" Berry, we were talking about how Don protected his recipes with a fanatical level of secrecy. It seemed odd that Vic wouldn't, until you realize - this when we compared the official Mai Tai recipe from the books with one in a letter mailed to a fan - he was hiding them in plain sight, by publishing inaccurate (in varying degrees) versions in his books. Most of the time he was playing fast and loose with the orgeat and/or Rock Candy syrup. Keep that in mind Junior Sleuths.



Comments
Tim