The Show & Tell Must Go On

This is not what BB had in mind, but TFBIM is running around with the camera. So this will have to suffice. There are people who are rather lax about Christmas/Holiday cards. Not I. I take this evry seriously and each year I buy 120 (!) cards in three general categories: A-List, B-List and C-List.

The A-List is a mighty low-density place, maybe 15 out of 120 cards. These are for people I simply adore.

These cards are completed longhand, in my atrocious penmanship, via fountain pen, and include an actual message--beyond the usual "Merry Christmas!" greeting--of some length. The top one is suitable for both Jews and Christians because all it says is "Joy To The World" so unless someone has issues with Three Dog Night, we're OK.
The cards are invariably Crane's, except for the one year I got a fat stack of Ralph Lauren Purple Label cards when I bought my tuxedo.

Next come the B-listers. These are people I like well enough. They are pleasant to converse with, and not too grating. The best members of our (TFBIM's and mine) families reside here.
If they are all hip and/or secular, we sling along these neat Haddon Sundblom cards. The message is usually computer generated and hand-signed.

If they are among the pious, we send this cheerful burst of orthodoxy, with a short handwritten "Merry Christmas!" or something like that and a signature.

C-listers get this:


I picked this up for $1.97 for a box of 25, and they are all computer scribbled. This is for MOST of TFBIM's pals, most of my relatives (who are lucky to be getting anything at all) as well as hers. These people are one stupid remark from not even getting THIS.

Lastly are friends'of the boys. I grabbed these at The Museum Store website.

The idea is cute for little kids...you scribble a quickie greeting and then send the "blank"card along with the sticker sheet and the kids "make" their own card.

Merry Christmas to all* and to all a good night,

-Joke

P.S. Well, to all the Gentiles. Happy Chanukah to the Jewish kids.

Comments

blackbird said…
not what I had in mind perhaps...but pretty damn close to what I do.
about 120 go out...sadly I find Cranes too...I don't know, stodgy?
but definitely three categories - tho the c listers still get better than $1.97 per box, while the A listers are letterpress.
how do you NOT do letterpress? they are right up your alley - beautifully produced as REAL printing.
once again, as in dressing correctly, another area, my dear Joke, where we see completely eye to eye.
(though I suspect you are much taller than I)
Poppy B. said…
Well, I don't know how tall you are, BB.

But I'm willing to bet that Joke isn't all THAT much taller. I mean, no more than a foot or so.

--P.

p.s. Word verification is "mnogul," which describes someone who was going to become a mogul, but changed his mind at the last moment.
Joke said…
I like Crane's BECAUSE they are stodgy. I am that kind of guy. I've considered letterpress, but for the purposes of the A-listers (who must be addressed in three different languages) it's not all that feasible. But I'm totally down with it.

I also like inflicting my atrocious and illegible penmanship on people...just one of those perverse delights, I s'pose.

Lastly, the reason the C-listers get $1.97 per box is that I can't find any cheaper. These go to people I find truly odious, but to whom I must, for a number of reasons beyond the scope of this comment, show some measure of civility. I'm not kidding when I say they are one remark away from being dropped completely.

-J., Christmas Hardass

P.S. Poppy is the only A-lister who doesn't get a Crane's card. She gets a card which celebrates an obnoxious inside joke which makes us both giggle.
Sarah Louise said…
Very nice. I adore Cranes, and I love your system. I love the museum cards--what a cool idea--all those stickers--yum! I like the Cranes Thank you cards that say thank you in 5 languages. I own a box...somewhere in this garrett of mine...

jcdpihd: an aphid that likes music on cd, especially three dog night!
Joke said…
You have a garret? I always thought garrets were places where fallen women died of things like "consumption" and "pleuresy."

-J.
Sarah Louise said…
I have "an attic room or rooms, usually under a pitched roof" (American Heritage Dictionary.) I prefer to think of the happy ending garret in Frances Hodges Burnett's Little Princess (the book, not the horrible movies!). The root words are watchtower and defend. I had bronchitis once, but I no longer consider myself a fallen woman--I got up off the laundry basement floor a month ago!
blackbird said…
I also like inflicting my atrocious and illegible penmanship on people...just one of those perverse delights, I s'pose.


this? is a given.

Poppy - I am quite short.

Popular Posts