The Moms of 2007 and A Proposal
Having done the SAHD thing for a month or so, I now feel free to comment on the new crop of moms that I run across. Obviously, since last years, some moms moved away...others had their kids go to the next educational level, that sort of thing. They were replaced by the new moms.
About half the moms (new or established) simply cannot manage to stick to my memory banks. Many are yet another example of an archetype, many are just dull--regardless of archetype.
Anyway, in addition to the regulars, this year we have the following:
1- Love Is Blind Mom. She is what everyone's definition of a trophy wife ought be. Tall, blonde, dazzling features, and is in amazing shape. All the moms would hate her except her husband, poor bastid, looks like Danny de Vito caught in a permanent pre-sneeze and has Einstein hair. Sadly, the kids took dad's DNA.
2- Kung Fu Mom. Tiny-short, dirty-blonde hair in a pixie cut. Not terribly pretty, but has maximized what she has to work with. Permanent smile. Usually arrives at pickup wearing loose cotton slacks and one of several XYZ Martial Arts center t-shirts. She is TOO fit, and likely can kick anyone's ass. All the other moms like her, or maybe they are too afraid to say otherwise.
3- Chatterbox Mom. Talks to TWO different people at the same time (different conversations) and also usually has a cellphone attached.
4- Bus Mom. Has a van-van, not a minivan which is, apparently, for pansies. 5 kids. A bit chubby, shortish. Talks with her hands a lot, but in a coreographed way, not at all flail-ish. Has a bit of a nervous laugh. All the kids are chubby too, but they don't laugh. Does a lot of crosswords. 5- Bitter mom. Just moved in. Bad, recent divorce. Lots (I mean LOTS) of self-help books. I try to hide my Y chromosome, because one day she's going to go postal.
and
6- Gardening mom. BIG straw hat. HUGE tote bag. Sometimes dirt on knees. Tailgate of minivan is often open with flats of some plants the name of which escape me, or would escape me if I could be bothered to try to learn their names.
**************************
The proposal.
I have just taken an informal inventory as I was organizing (again) my appallingly copious stacks of books, I realized that, while I certainly LIKE all of the books I own, I don't love them all.
In fact, I could stand to part with many. (Two 24''x 24"x24" boxes of cookbooks alone)
So!
I thought of doing a book-exchange type thing. I'd post all the books I'd be willing to give away and people could claim them in the combox PROVIDED THEY WERE ALSO participating by doing a similar giveaway.
Discuss.
-J.
About half the moms (new or established) simply cannot manage to stick to my memory banks. Many are yet another example of an archetype, many are just dull--regardless of archetype.
Anyway, in addition to the regulars, this year we have the following:
1- Love Is Blind Mom. She is what everyone's definition of a trophy wife ought be. Tall, blonde, dazzling features, and is in amazing shape. All the moms would hate her except her husband, poor bastid, looks like Danny de Vito caught in a permanent pre-sneeze and has Einstein hair. Sadly, the kids took dad's DNA.
2- Kung Fu Mom. Tiny-short, dirty-blonde hair in a pixie cut. Not terribly pretty, but has maximized what she has to work with. Permanent smile. Usually arrives at pickup wearing loose cotton slacks and one of several XYZ Martial Arts center t-shirts. She is TOO fit, and likely can kick anyone's ass. All the other moms like her, or maybe they are too afraid to say otherwise.
3- Chatterbox Mom. Talks to TWO different people at the same time (different conversations) and also usually has a cellphone attached.
4- Bus Mom. Has a van-van, not a minivan which is, apparently, for pansies. 5 kids. A bit chubby, shortish. Talks with her hands a lot, but in a coreographed way, not at all flail-ish. Has a bit of a nervous laugh. All the kids are chubby too, but they don't laugh. Does a lot of crosswords. 5- Bitter mom. Just moved in. Bad, recent divorce. Lots (I mean LOTS) of self-help books. I try to hide my Y chromosome, because one day she's going to go postal.
and
6- Gardening mom. BIG straw hat. HUGE tote bag. Sometimes dirt on knees. Tailgate of minivan is often open with flats of some plants the name of which escape me, or would escape me if I could be bothered to try to learn their names.
**************************
The proposal.
I have just taken an informal inventory as I was organizing (again) my appallingly copious stacks of books, I realized that, while I certainly LIKE all of the books I own, I don't love them all.
In fact, I could stand to part with many. (Two 24''x 24"x24" boxes of cookbooks alone)
So!
I thought of doing a book-exchange type thing. I'd post all the books I'd be willing to give away and people could claim them in the combox PROVIDED THEY WERE ALSO participating by doing a similar giveaway.
Discuss.
-J.

Comments
But then we mostly dwell on the internets and are rarely seen in the wild, so maybe that's why.
-J.
-J.
Recycling your books is a great idea. I was so impressed that you do the same thing with the boys' toys pre-Christmas. You should do it. I doubt that I could manage the organisation required for a cull and post myself but I would gladly cheer you on from the sidelines.
Good! A volunteer! I figure I'll kick this off March 1.
-J.
Says the mum who Hates Small Talk About Children and Really Would Rather Read Her Book (and, to be honest, rarely has time to brush her teeth until she gets back from school pick up, so is sucking on a mint).