So this is what's been going on.

A'ight.

I have learned (an no, not the hard way) that a PT SAHD really shouldn't comment on whatever housework he may be called upon to perform if there are moms within earshot. No matter how many loads of laundry I completed, there is always someone who did twice as many and managed to nurse triplets simultaneously.

On the subject of laundry, there is much stress in the household. I cannot abide starch or fabric softener. I hate them jointly and severally and find it the height of irony to use both on the same item. So I don't. Yesterday I started getting hints. "Did we run out of Brand X Fabric Softener?" cooed my beloved softly, to which I replied with a torrent of profanity, abuse and blasphemy that would have made Poppy AND Badger blush, jointly and severally.

Actually, I just mumbled to the effect of "I'll check, dear." with the implication that if, in fact, we hadn't, I'd jettison the whole consignment eftsoons or right speedily, whichever came first.

Yesterday I had a dinner meeting with some out of state clients and coincidentally, TFBIM's something-or-other got cancelled due to a surfeit of adenoids (or something) among those scheduled to attend. So, being the dutiful bastid I am, earlier in the evening I semi-cooked dinner and left everything over the lowest possible heat that, as soon as the offspring were bathed, they may all dine.

But the point of this vignette is actually to go off on a tear about cooking. Often people tell me that it's great that I cook for my family. In reality, I cook for me. I feed my family with the stuff I cook for me, but it's my own palate that is judge, jury and executioner. With the possible exception of NOS sometime after the year 2027, the rest of my immediate and semi-immediate circle only care that food "tastes good." It's a binary thing. It tastes good or it tastes bad. If it tastes good, there bloody well better be a cubic @$$load of it...but that's really as far as it goes.

But I am a foodie, and therefore I sit there and analyze things in mid-chew. If it's someone else's food which I am enjoying, I try to reverse-engineer it. If it's my own, I check for weak points or flaws and seek not to repeat them. (Feeling now like Father William) this has led to a rather sharpened palate, both a blessing and a curse. As a consequence, people like Sandra "Semi Homemade" Lee and the approach of doctoring up stuff from jars, cans, tins, boxes and the like are anathema to me. I like getting all that free-range, organic, Gaia-Earth-Mother, sustainable, fair trade, natural stuff even if I have to pay some tonsorially-challenged eco-terrorist in flannel thrice the going rate.

Not for philosophical reasons, because we have all firmly established what a Goldwaterite I am, but because that stuff tastes much, much better. A case might be made that stuff tasting better is as valid a philosophy as not putting weird-arse chemicals in one's system or being "green" or devoutly hoping the gutters along Wall Street run red with the blood of capitalist plutocrats. I'm not going to make such a case, but maybe someone will.

The problem with this compulsion is that when you see a recipe that calls for some component, say, chocolate wafer crumbs, your first impulse upon realizing all such chocolate wafers generally available to you are unacceptable (being either filled with weird-arse chemicals, not "green," or are helping to keep the blood of Wall Street capitalist plutocrats safely within their circulatory system), is to find a recipe for such wafers that you might have adequate crumbs.

This attitude is what led me from reading Cooking Light magazine. In the previous place where I worked out, there would be a shelf atop your locker where the staff would put notices, flyers, etc. and Cooking Light started showing up there, complimentarily. I took a few home, but after seeing too many recipes that started with canned this or boxed that, I stopped* taking it. Even free was too expensive.

There are people who will claim they purchase all their foodstuffs from the tonsorially-challenged eco-terrorist in flannel (at thrice the going rate) for the previously enumerated noble and good reasons. This is because among certain segments, admitting to being a foodie, even a potential foodie, is tantamount to either treason or declaring yourself in need of some 12-step program. The danger is palpable to them, especially if they are good cooks. Tell one of these excellent cooks the reason they buy Holistic Farms Boddhisvatta Pork is because it is ridiculously yummy and you might wind up with a candy thermometer in a very awkward place.

Anyway, my greater family may not be able to taste the difference between dried supermarket pasta and fresh homemade lasagna, but I can. That's the key thing. So I make sacrifices and abjure, openly and cheerfully, the overwhelming majority of convenience products. But what would you expect from someone who drives 90 miles each way** to get hot dogs?

There. That was my manifesto.

Also, I started packing TFBIM's St. Valentine's Day loot. If you promise not to spill the beans, I'll tell you what I got her.

OK?

Good.

1- An Aquascutum red wool/cashmere/angora trenchcoat-looking coat. (On sale!)
2- An Orrefors (Baccarat?) vase for the flowers she'll get on Feb. 15th after the floral extortion ends.
3- An "everyday" Tourneau watch.


Oh, and I got some killer shoes for me. On--duh--sale!

-J.

* I then subscribed to Eating Well, until I got fed up with the politics of the magazine. I hasten to add I would have gotten fed up with the politics of the magazine even if they had agreed with mine. Color me reactionary, but I failed to see how ranting about WalMart's dairy policy helps me make a better, healthier breakfast strata.

** Note to Julia: I do this sans offspring and over no ice-slicked roads.

Comments

Jaye Joseph said…
Cook's Illustrated. That's all I'm sayin'. And if they didn't have my favorite hot dogs at the store here, I'd drive 90 miles for them too. As well as many other things. Hell, I'd fly to Paris just to get more of that chocolate.
jujube said…
I got Cook's Country with CI this month and I am surprised at how much I like it (and I've only gotten as far as the whiskey pork chops). I will probably send in the subscription card for that this week.
Joke said…
CI is one of my two foodie mainstays (the other being The Rosengarten Report newsletter). As far as Cook's Country goes, I buy every third issue on the newsstand. Some issues strike me as a foodie version of Better Homes & Garden cookbooks from the 1950s.

But that's just me.

-J.
Badger said…
Fabric softener sux. And I don't blush, ever, because I have no shame. (Self-awareness sux, too.)
Unknown said…
I wish I could afford to buy all free-range, organic, eco-terrorist, tastier produce and ingredients, but it's the price that keeps me from indulging my finer foodie instincts.

Alas, on my sad salary (or lack thereof), I just cannot afford it. Which seems oh-so-wrong, somehow.

*sigh*

Maybe if I only ate one-third as much?
Major Bedhead said…
I can't afford the eco-friendly stuff, either, much as I'd like to.

But I'd never drive 90 miles for a hot dog. For an Ipswich clam, yes, but not a hot dog.

Damn, I'm hungry now. I love reading your foodie entries, Joke, but they're murder on my diet.
Joke said…
Take it up with the tonsorially-challenged eco-terrorist. Maybe torching SUVs has become much more expensive?

That said, one of the nice things about living this far south is that the "good stuff" grows plentifully and year-round, so it's not horrifyingly expensive. More expensive, yes. But not the sort of prices that will set you twitching like Chief Inspector Dreyfus.

Why, if you manage to find a farmers market, the prices approach reasonability.

-J.
Suse said…
(Australian)Gourmet Traveller always makes me think of you.

You'd love it.

PS. Facewashers.
Joke said…
Suse,

1- Does said magazine have a website?

2- Thanks!! I handle curiosity in less than stellar way.

-J.
Stomper Girl said…
I'm with you on fabric softener, I think it makes washing (laundry) feel a bit slimy. Extravagantly, everything in our house is washed only in gentle eucalyptus, eco-friendly woolwash, to avoid irritating the delicate skin of the Cherub. Works for us.

Home-grown and organic does taste nicer even to poor palettes like mine.

You are scarily ready for Valentine's Day! Not that I'm surprised. I'll be happy if a floral offering makes it home that evening. Even if he has paid three times the going rate for them.
Joke said…
It's the aftermath of having been a Boy Scout.

It's also good insurance because I must have done SOMETHING awful at some point.

-J.
Poppy B. said…
I buy all those three-times-as-expensive eco-friendly groceries, and then bring them home and forget to put them in the refrigerator. And then cook them and eat them anyway.

Works for me.

p.s. Was this entry about doing the laundry or cooking? I don't get it.

p.p.s. Yesterday I gave TSMIM an 18k gold Tiffany watch (Universal Geneve) for the 21st anniversary of our first date. For Valentine's day, he's getting candy.
Joke said…
Poppy,

This was about my housewifely duties.

"Candy" is to be taken literally or are you being metaphorical?

-J.
Poppy B. said…
Literal.

I don't do metaphor.
MsCellania said…
I love these comments that take off on passionate tangents about cooking, laundry, driving and magazines. All of which I do.
I use white vinegar in the rinse cycle. No petroleum products in our laundry, no siree.
I can just feel the fibers in that Aquascutum coat - she will adore it. And it will last forever.
It would be great to live next door and get your leftovers.
WDW was fabulous! Thanks for your tips.
Joke said…
Excellent news!

-J.
SUEB0B said…
Cooking light. Anyone who believes in fat-free cream cheese is no friend of mine.
Bec said…
not triplets but certainly twins. AND had a four year old besides. AND had a full time paid job too.

We shall never speak of laundry again, you and I.

Popular Posts