Back to normal-ish.
After getting soaked and somewhat blown about by Tropical Storm Fay, we're back to normal, sort of.
Those of you with children of school age (and/or those of you who've happily forgotten what it's like) will sympathize with the frustration to have the first two days of school canceled. So, not only is there a letdown, but you're also cooped up for 48 hours with said children.
My children, sadly being like me, do not handle boredom well. So by the 17 hour, they were cabin feverish and yowling while TFBIM tried to get a rare, non-Sunday crack at reading EVERY page in the newspaper. I myself was so bored, I loitered freely on Facebook for the first time since 1937.
Fortunately, we're back on schedule.
The only hangup is that this is NOS's first year of Junior High and as such he missed "orientation" at Jesuit Boot Camp and while that struck him as brilliant on Sunday night, tonight, (given the fact he'd have precisely 6 minutes to get from Building X to Building Y which includes stopping off at his locker to adjust his backpack's inventory, walking whatever the Hell the distance is and availing himself of the facilities) he wasn't so sure of the wisdom of being so giddy.
Furthermore, he has to take TWO bags, one for the morning block and another for the afternoon block. He has, and there is no other way to phrase this, a cubic assload of books.
NTS, I'm grateful to report, is still approximately three years away from such delights. So he was able to spend the evening merrily YouTubing and loafing and watching videos and attempting to play the piano like one of his favorite Muppet bands from Sesame Street (Chrissy & The Alphabeats). Somewhat like I was, NTS is a pretty self-contained child. As long as nothing in his sphere is malfunctioning, he is happy. So he wasmaking a Hell of a racket on plinking away at the piano, wearing sunglasses. When asked what he was doing he just looked up (much like a cat when rudely interrupted) and said "Rock and roll" with a tone of voice you knew simply ached to append "...you idiot peasant, you."
And then it was back to plinking.
The only thing about NOS going to this new school is that it's rather a hike away. 15 minutes if Armageddon arrives early and traffic is nonexistent, I have NFI how long with the horrendous traffic jams which are the norm. Furthermore, since we missed orientation, we also have NFI what the supply list contains (2 pencils? 60? How many notebooks?)
Things are a lot lighter with NTS, sure; so he has been the very model of sedate relaxation. While NOS & TFBIM went to do a last minute run to cobble together an approximate school supply cache, NTS and self decided to take it easy and go shopping and have lunch.
And that's today's report.
-J.
P.S. I am pleased to report on an EXCELLENT score at the Tommy Bahama store's clearance section: a pair or perforated chocolate leather espadrilles ($18!) and
sunglasses each for the boys ($5! I know!)
Those of you with children of school age (and/or those of you who've happily forgotten what it's like) will sympathize with the frustration to have the first two days of school canceled. So, not only is there a letdown, but you're also cooped up for 48 hours with said children.
My children, sadly being like me, do not handle boredom well. So by the 17 hour, they were cabin feverish and yowling while TFBIM tried to get a rare, non-Sunday crack at reading EVERY page in the newspaper. I myself was so bored, I loitered freely on Facebook for the first time since 1937.
Fortunately, we're back on schedule.
The only hangup is that this is NOS's first year of Junior High and as such he missed "orientation" at Jesuit Boot Camp and while that struck him as brilliant on Sunday night, tonight, (given the fact he'd have precisely 6 minutes to get from Building X to Building Y which includes stopping off at his locker to adjust his backpack's inventory, walking whatever the Hell the distance is and availing himself of the facilities) he wasn't so sure of the wisdom of being so giddy.
Furthermore, he has to take TWO bags, one for the morning block and another for the afternoon block. He has, and there is no other way to phrase this, a cubic assload of books.
NTS, I'm grateful to report, is still approximately three years away from such delights. So he was able to spend the evening merrily YouTubing and loafing and watching videos and attempting to play the piano like one of his favorite Muppet bands from Sesame Street (Chrissy & The Alphabeats). Somewhat like I was, NTS is a pretty self-contained child. As long as nothing in his sphere is malfunctioning, he is happy. So he was
And then it was back to plinking.
The only thing about NOS going to this new school is that it's rather a hike away. 15 minutes if Armageddon arrives early and traffic is nonexistent, I have NFI how long with the horrendous traffic jams which are the norm. Furthermore, since we missed orientation, we also have NFI what the supply list contains (2 pencils? 60? How many notebooks?)
Things are a lot lighter with NTS, sure; so he has been the very model of sedate relaxation. While NOS & TFBIM went to do a last minute run to cobble together an approximate school supply cache, NTS and self decided to take it easy and go shopping and have lunch.
And that's today's report.
-J.
P.S. I am pleased to report on an EXCELLENT score at the Tommy Bahama store's clearance section: a pair or perforated chocolate leather espadrilles ($18!) and
sunglasses each for the boys ($5! I know!)

Comments
Won't they give you another orientation? I assume you weren't the only family kept away by the tropical storm.
Hope springs eternal...
-J.
-J.
* Bonus for getting that reference
Driving time to school is always tricky. In regular traffic it takes us about 5-7 minutes to get to the front door.
In morning traffic I leave 20 minutes before school starts and drop her in an adjoining library parking lot. That alone takes 12 to 15 minutes, leaving her 5 minutes to rush to school.
I won't even get into the details of how lame the parent drivers are. I'm sure you are well acquainted with that particular evil.
And I only just today pulled out the boy's backpack from last year to discover it's being held together with nothing but duct tape and good intentions. And the sexy new zippered notebook with all the pockets that I bought him at the end of the school year (read: mid-May) because the other one had fallen apart has gone missing.
But I did find the THREE student ID cards he lost last year! HAHAHA.
This back to school thing kills me EVERY TIME.
-J.
-J.