In which Joke reveals he has created a monster.
NOS walked into my room last night, interrupting a very enjoyable read.
He issued a preamble. Something along the lines of:
NOS: Dad, do you remember that you said that if I was doing really well in school I could have any car I wanted?
Me: (suspicious) Any car within reason.
NOS: Yeah. That.
Me: Uh huh.
NOS: When would that be?
Me: When you turn 16.
NOS: OK. That's what I thought.
[pause]
NOS (cont'd.): But if I do really well this year could I get a treat?
Me: Sure, depends on how well and what the treat is.
NOS: A tuxedo.
Me: Well, as soon as you have a reason to wear one, we can talk about it. What do you need a tuxedo for?
NOS: Nothing. It'd just be cool to have.
Was I this insufferable when I was 11½?
-J.
He issued a preamble. Something along the lines of:
NOS: Dad, do you remember that you said that if I was doing really well in school I could have any car I wanted?
Me: (suspicious) Any car within reason.
NOS: Yeah. That.
Me: Uh huh.
NOS: When would that be?
Me: When you turn 16.
NOS: OK. That's what I thought.
[pause]
NOS (cont'd.): But if I do really well this year could I get a treat?
Me: Sure, depends on how well and what the treat is.
NOS: A tuxedo.
Me: Well, as soon as you have a reason to wear one, we can talk about it. What do you need a tuxedo for?
NOS: Nothing. It'd just be cool to have.
Was I this insufferable when I was 11½?
-J.

Comments