...in which our hero realizes he has, officially, become ancient and decrepit.
My cell* phone died today.
So I went to get another. For reasons which have yet to be adequately explored, when you go to the phone store, you will see manifestly inferior phones for a patillion dollars, and then you'll see phones with enough computing capacity to suit three of NASA and most of NORAD for a mere bag-of-shells.
There are arcane and byzantine rules governing the pricing of these, even more absurd and impenetrable than those governing airline tickets. But, the price for what I wanted was right, and I leapt at it. (Cynics would say that what I wanted was because of what was cheapest, not YOU, of course, but cynics...)
It's a touchscreen phone with a moderate amount of bells and whistles. Came with a pouch, and an ear thingy which I'll lose soon, and chargers and so forth. Then I got it out of the box and started to try certain features, which began to vex me almost immediately.
So, reflexively, I turned to NOS and said "You. YOU. Set this bloody thing up."
And he did. In 2 minutes.
I am now practically a fossil.
-J.
*mobile
So I went to get another. For reasons which have yet to be adequately explored, when you go to the phone store, you will see manifestly inferior phones for a patillion dollars, and then you'll see phones with enough computing capacity to suit three of NASA and most of NORAD for a mere bag-of-shells.
There are arcane and byzantine rules governing the pricing of these, even more absurd and impenetrable than those governing airline tickets. But, the price for what I wanted was right, and I leapt at it. (Cynics would say that what I wanted was because of what was cheapest, not YOU, of course, but cynics...)
It's a touchscreen phone with a moderate amount of bells and whistles. Came with a pouch, and an ear thingy which I'll lose soon, and chargers and so forth. Then I got it out of the box and started to try certain features, which began to vex me almost immediately.
So, reflexively, I turned to NOS and said "You. YOU. Set this bloody thing up."
And he did. In 2 minutes.
I am now practically a fossil.
-J.
*mobile

Comments