Pretty, pretty cars.
I discovered a pretty neat trick on Saturday. I had to attend this event held at The Breakers in Palm Beach, held for Ferraris, called the Cavallino Classic. Anyway, if you get there at 3:30pm...the people working there, who are in charge of making sure you pay your $40 to get in, just LEAVE.
Better yet, if you stand in the right spot ALL of the gigabuck Ferrari cars will drive right past you. If you are smarter than I am, you will bring a digital camera that has been fully charged, instead of one with 4% of the battery life left. Still, I got some decent pictures.
Anyway, today was a second event, open not only to Ferraris, but to other gigabuck cars as well. It went...OK. It was at the Palm Beach Polo Club. It looked like it was going to rain, and I am guessing that kept (or contributed to keep) a good number of scheduled cars from attending. The reunion of prewar Alfas somehow failed to materialize, but my friends Ted and Marc were both there with their dueling Giulia Spiders, both (the cars, not Ted & Marc) looking stunning as usual.
There was a pristine Alfa Romeo Montreal fromWisconsin and an 8C-2300 in what must have been "preserved" (because if THAT's what "restored" looks like, someone needs a lawyer, fast!) condition. A decent number of Maseratis, and a 1910(?) Fiat. Loads of Ferraris, including a 250SWB and, my personal favorite: a Zagato 250GT with the trademark double bubble.
I took Numbah One Son and he got tired of walking after 3 hours, so we left then. I hope Ted and Marc did OK in the judging. I'll post pictures soon, promise.
Oh, and our plumbing's all clogged again.
Better yet, if you stand in the right spot ALL of the gigabuck Ferrari cars will drive right past you. If you are smarter than I am, you will bring a digital camera that has been fully charged, instead of one with 4% of the battery life left. Still, I got some decent pictures.
Anyway, today was a second event, open not only to Ferraris, but to other gigabuck cars as well. It went...OK. It was at the Palm Beach Polo Club. It looked like it was going to rain, and I am guessing that kept (or contributed to keep) a good number of scheduled cars from attending. The reunion of prewar Alfas somehow failed to materialize, but my friends Ted and Marc were both there with their dueling Giulia Spiders, both (the cars, not Ted & Marc) looking stunning as usual.
There was a pristine Alfa Romeo Montreal fromWisconsin and an 8C-2300 in what must have been "preserved" (because if THAT's what "restored" looks like, someone needs a lawyer, fast!) condition. A decent number of Maseratis, and a 1910(?) Fiat. Loads of Ferraris, including a 250SWB and, my personal favorite: a Zagato 250GT with the trademark double bubble.
I took Numbah One Son and he got tired of walking after 3 hours, so we left then. I hope Ted and Marc did OK in the judging. I'll post pictures soon, promise.
Oh, and our plumbing's all clogged again.
