Don't ask me why I did this, but...

Today I had, for the first time in YEARS, "regular" (i.e., brewed) coffee. This will serve me as a reminder why I stick with espresso. OMG is there water in brewed coffee! I have--and maybe this is just all the workload and cold meds typin' heah--taken it upon myself to turn the USA into a coffee culture that turns its back on brewed coffee. Yes, this will not be overnight.

Still, decent espresso, thanks to eBay, needn't be the exclusive province of Starbux or its ilk. For under $100 you can get something that will set you up and last eons and produce delicious espresso/cappuccino and caffé latte. I wouldn't go with anything that requires pods because then you're tied to the pod-seller for coffee and that can get expensive, fast.

I like Saeco. It's an Italian brand (duh) and really ridiculously cheap. Even their very cheapest pump (NOT STEAM) driven machines will dazzle you with caffeinated goodness that actually tastes like something, as opposed to brown water borne of the accidental collision of indifferent beans and too much water in an unsympathetic contraption.

Then you can get some cool espresso cups (notice I have kindly provided you with an illustration to help you select) and then go and sit outside, under a Campari or Cinzano umbrella, reading Figaro or La Gazzetta dello Sport wondering when your Vespa will get out of the shop or whether you should have saltimbocca or stracotto for dinner.

-Joke

Comments

As always, your detailed analysis not only saves us from fashion faux paus, but from fatal situations such as cold, stale coffee. You are the Helouise of the Blog World!
Joke said…
I live to serve humanity.

-Joke

Popular Posts