Retail therapy
People of the Internet,
As I was taking inventory of my suitings and shirtings and the like, I was struck--as I often am--by the things which I am missing. The one thing I currently recall I am desperately missing is a dressy pink shirt.
I ask for little: modest spread collar of moderate length, double french cuffs, diamond-shaped monogram (in the same pink) above the left elbow and the cuff joining the sleeve via a near-endless arrangement of teeny-tiny pleats, as opposed to the more prosaic tapering or the merely adequate two-or-three larger pleats.
Having the sort of mentality that abhors a gap in the wardrobe, I pulled the trigger. Taking an extended lunch, I sauntered to The New Shirt Place (name withheld pending review), was treated to a pretty decent espresso and handed a pleasingly hefty book of swatches.
I opted for a MTM* shirt for the following reasons:
1- I'm just trying this place out for the first time
2- The coin for MTM was a lot more reasonable than the price of custom
3- Delivery time was shorter (no baste fitting or patternmaking required)
4- Minimum order size is one vs. three for custom
At any rate, I chose a light-ish sort of pink royal oxford (120s on the warp and 140s on the woof, IIRC). The measurement process was simple enough.

(Ignore the hideous tie knot and cufflinks)
Stay tuned. -J.
*Made To Measure, for you new kids
As I was taking inventory of my suitings and shirtings and the like, I was struck--as I often am--by the things which I am missing. The one thing I currently recall I am desperately missing is a dressy pink shirt.
I ask for little: modest spread collar of moderate length, double french cuffs, diamond-shaped monogram (in the same pink) above the left elbow and the cuff joining the sleeve via a near-endless arrangement of teeny-tiny pleats, as opposed to the more prosaic tapering or the merely adequate two-or-three larger pleats.
Having the sort of mentality that abhors a gap in the wardrobe, I pulled the trigger. Taking an extended lunch, I sauntered to The New Shirt Place (name withheld pending review), was treated to a pretty decent espresso and handed a pleasingly hefty book of swatches.
I opted for a MTM* shirt for the following reasons:
1- I'm just trying this place out for the first time
2- The coin for MTM was a lot more reasonable than the price of custom
3- Delivery time was shorter (no baste fitting or patternmaking required)
4- Minimum order size is one vs. three for custom
At any rate, I chose a light-ish sort of pink royal oxford (120s on the warp and 140s on the woof, IIRC). The measurement process was simple enough.
- Neck
- Both sleeves (natch)
- Yoke
- Chest
- Shoulder drop
- Torso
- Cuffs and
- "Sweep."

(Ignore the hideous tie knot and cufflinks)
Stay tuned. -J.
*Made To Measure, for you new kids

Comments
Thomas Pink?
do you iron yourself, or send the shirts out? (bone of contention in this household...not b/w me and dan, but me and mil)
I have come to the sad, bitter conclusion that, unless I am to have my very own Jeeves, I am stuck with a lifetime of ironing my own shirts and trousers, making my own pasta and otherwise doing my own things from scratch.
Having off-the-beaten-path standards is a PITA.
-J.
I am the queen of ironing.
never sent out a shirt.
just a wee spritz of water...
Today's word is: caveh
-J.