Angels I'll have heard on high
Dear Internet,
Well, there will be much a-carolin' in the Jokesphere over the next few days. I just dropped NOS off at choir practice, for they have a concert on 12/23. NOS has the singular honor of TWO solos, on the strength he is the only boy who can stay on pitch. He's got to belt out "Veni Emmanuel" totally a capella and one section of "The Little Drummer Boy." I have to grit my teeth about that because it is my 2nd least favorite* carol. Since NOS's school is Old School Catholic, there is a lot of stuff in Latin and not much in the way of reindeer or Frosty the Snowperson. One Austrian girl is soloing "O Tannenbaum" which always sounded to me like some German CEO asking for a junior executive to come into his office.
There is also a Christmas Eve Mass, where NOS has been assigned to play a shepherd. Mimic genius he is, he keeps talking like Shermy from the Peanuts Christmas special "Every Christmas it's the same thing. I always end up being a shepherd." But the church--a fairly rococo affair--always looks great when spangled with Christmas lights and boughs and balsam and all that.
NTS's school is a lot smaller and so pretty much EVERYONE has a song to himself. Lucky me, NTS gets to sing Feliz Navidad and The Twelve Days of Christmas (my hands-down LEAST favorite Christmas song) and I must grin and bear it and beam at the boy. He is devoid of pitch and lyrics are, well, let's just say he is no strict constructionist and he considers them to be a "living document."
-Joke
* I mean really. You're the Virgin Mary, you've just schlepped from Nazareth to Bethlehem, there are no hotels to be had, you are about-to-burst pregnant, you've had to bunk in a stable, gone into labor in a stable, plopped Baby Jesus in the manger and wrapped him in swaddling clothes because there is no place to buy proper blankies and all of a sudden some kid shows up and, instead of bringing so much as a rattle he has the gall to say "I didn't bring anything, but instead I'll bang the drum awhile for your newborn. Doesn't that sound restful?" This is why Catholics venerate the Virgin Mary so. Had it been my mom, she would have put the kid through the drum like in the cartoons and told him that if the baby woke up, there would be Hell to pay.
Well, there will be much a-carolin' in the Jokesphere over the next few days. I just dropped NOS off at choir practice, for they have a concert on 12/23. NOS has the singular honor of TWO solos, on the strength he is the only boy who can stay on pitch. He's got to belt out "Veni Emmanuel" totally a capella and one section of "The Little Drummer Boy." I have to grit my teeth about that because it is my 2nd least favorite* carol. Since NOS's school is Old School Catholic, there is a lot of stuff in Latin and not much in the way of reindeer or Frosty the Snowperson. One Austrian girl is soloing "O Tannenbaum" which always sounded to me like some German CEO asking for a junior executive to come into his office.
There is also a Christmas Eve Mass, where NOS has been assigned to play a shepherd. Mimic genius he is, he keeps talking like Shermy from the Peanuts Christmas special "Every Christmas it's the same thing. I always end up being a shepherd." But the church--a fairly rococo affair--always looks great when spangled with Christmas lights and boughs and balsam and all that.
NTS's school is a lot smaller and so pretty much EVERYONE has a song to himself. Lucky me, NTS gets to sing Feliz Navidad and The Twelve Days of Christmas (my hands-down LEAST favorite Christmas song) and I must grin and bear it and beam at the boy. He is devoid of pitch and lyrics are, well, let's just say he is no strict constructionist and he considers them to be a "living document."
-Joke
* I mean really. You're the Virgin Mary, you've just schlepped from Nazareth to Bethlehem, there are no hotels to be had, you are about-to-burst pregnant, you've had to bunk in a stable, gone into labor in a stable, plopped Baby Jesus in the manger and wrapped him in swaddling clothes because there is no place to buy proper blankies and all of a sudden some kid shows up and, instead of bringing so much as a rattle he has the gall to say "I didn't bring anything, but instead I'll bang the drum awhile for your newborn. Doesn't that sound restful?" This is why Catholics venerate the Virgin Mary so. Had it been my mom, she would have put the kid through the drum like in the cartoons and told him that if the baby woke up, there would be Hell to pay.

Comments
why do kids dig twelve days? my 5yo adores it and sings it every chance he gets.
BB--c'mon, why the 12 days? They'd rather it was 365, but if there's 12, they'll sing that song forever!!
Still no Dominick...
The End