Pelted to death with puffballs.

That's what things felt like from sundown Thursday to sundown Friday. Nothing, per se, particularly awful. Just lots of little things that demanded my attention with no gap between them.

One of my flaws (yes, even I have them) is that I need time to get all introspective (look inward, angel) and "digest" things in my brain. But you can't do that when clients call you in a panic, or when you need to go sign something 30 minutes away and you have 10 minutes in which to get there. That sorta thing.

But...I had wine. I had a dinner the sorts of which I scrupulously tend to avoid these days in the slim hopes I'll see my abdominals one last time before I assume room temperature. Tapas out the yin yang, grilled prawns, escalivada of summer vegetables and finger potatoes poached (poached!) in EVOO...and a crema catalana (think creme brulee in a much shallower vessel, so you get a greater crust: custard ratio). Then we came home, I flopped on my fave seat, fired up the laptop and was able to--serendipituously--do a good deed for one of my three favorite human beings on the Planet.

To round things off, I went to Confession early and THEN had a kick-arse workout. God has rewarded me by having TFBIM schlep off with the lads (it's a tax holiday here and school uniforms are included) for the while.

So, I'm good.

-J.

Comments

BabelBabe said…
ahhhh. I feel better just reading that.

I have a contrite email to send you, but am at work with no addresses, so it must wait.

enjoy your day, dear. and that crema thing sounds heavenly. Because increasing - or is decreasing? - the crust-to-creme ratio is the ONLY thing that could inmprove a good creme brulee.
Joke said…
The crema catalana thing verily kicks much arse. The vessel--as opposed to ramekin--is ma-a-a-a-aybe ¾" deep and about 6" across and made of glazed terracotta. You also are supposed to put in the custard RAW, so the broiler caramelizes the sugar and cooks the custard. The texture is like that of room-temperature brie, with the shatteringly glorious caramel shards.

-J.
Badger said…
Okay, so now explain the poached in EVOO potatoes thing to me. Because that sounds yummy, but how do you keep them from absorbing vast quantities of oil? Is there an ice water bath involved? Some sort of brining? What? I need to know!
Joke said…
It's as dumbass simple as it sounds and the idea is for the potatoes to absorb the EVOO. They don't absorb much...maybe just the 1st 1/8" of the surface gelatinizes with the EVOO. It is GLORIOUS.

-J.
Joke said…
P.S. Just peel new or fingerling potatoes, crowd them in a pan and cover with EVOO and poach on low. Fish 'em out with a slotted spoon, salt and eat.
Badger said…
For real? Damn. I'm going to try that.
blackbird said…
You're good?
I'm glad.
Poppy B. said…
That was me, wasn't it? I mean, the serendipitous thing, not the puffballs, poached potatoes or crema catalana.

Thanks again!
Joke said…
Yes, you raving snitch.

-J.

Popular Posts