Welcome to Adultville

The lovely and gracious BabelBabe hath posted a very insightful thing on the matter of becoming an adult and realizing same. Her post is shaded rather girlishly because she is, y'know, a girl.

So, as not to discriminate against the boys, I offer my own version thereof.

To me, reminders of being an adult are...

1- Seeing young woman scantily clad and thinking "I'd never let my daughter go out dressed like that!"

2- Hearing the phone ring and realizing you no longer wish the call was for you.

3- Waking up and parts of you are aching...parts you didn't even know you had.

4- Drinks make you sleepy, not "wild."

5- The kids are gone for a sleepover and all you want to do with your wife is SLEEP.

6- Picking up and going anywhere out of pure spontaneity is a dim memory.

7- What's with all the vitamins (or worse, the prescriptions)?

8- When you realize that movie/that song/that ____ came out THIRTY YEARS AGO.

9- You think about consequences.

10- You know you don't know it all.

11- You remember to go to the bathroom before leaving the house.

12- You hear the greeting "Good morning Mr. _____." and realize it's YOU.

13- You let go of most grudges.

14- When your kid tells you how lucky you are because you don't have school.

15- When your worries no longer involve you, but rather, those about whom you care.

-J.

Comments

BabelBabe said…
Uh-huh, yep. Pass the Alka-selzter and turn up my hearing aid batteries...
Badger said…
You lost me at #13. But then, I'm Irish.
Caro said…
I hate hate hate when the phone is for me.

And I agree with you on all the others too.
MsCellania said…
I read 9 as "You think about contraceptives." and I was agreeing. I must be exhausted. Good night.
Joke said…
I'm glad that you would agree that I thought about contraceptives. Not that I do, mind, but if I did, I could count on you to back up my alibi.

-J.

Popular Posts