Imperturbability, thy name is Joke.

It's (pretty much) Christmas.

You know what I'm doing?

Drinking a generous tumblerful of Bloody Mary. It's the wrong time of the day, the wrong season of the year, the wrong everything for such a beverage. Ask me if I care.

No, I don't...but thanks for asking.

As of 5pm yesterday I ceased to exist for the year to anyone not in my immediate circle. Need me desperately before 1/7/07? Doesn't look so hot for you, pal.

I have stuck in gift bags wrapped all my giftage and all I have to do is show up to my parents' house and hide in the kitchen to minimize contact with the Unusual Suspects. I bail out early in favor of Midnight Mass, stick gifts under the tree and eat the cookies NOS and I will have baked for Santa. (Reindeer eat Purina Reindeer Chow, not available in local stores.) That's it.

The Bloody Mary is delicious and mood-ameliorating. Part of the serenity is the fact that I'm always looking out for gifts throughout the year. We have what we call "the gift closet" where we stash away Christmas, Chanukah, Anniversary and Birthday gifts as we find them all year long. This year this was a life saver. Add the automatic card mailmerge thing, and I'm on @#$&ing velvet, people.

However, as my mind drifts to thoughts of the Unusual Suspects...my thirst for another Bloody Mary revs up again.

You missed me, admit it.

-J.

Comments

Badger said…
I was not aware there WAS a correct time of day/season/etc. for Bloody Marys. My dad always regarded them as brunch fare, but they are the preferred drink at Christmas amongst my in-laws and so I have come to associate them with drunken revelry of a Christmas sort.

So drink up, sez I.

P.S. Missed you? You were GONE?
Joke said…
Real gone.

-J.
Jess said…
May your glass never be empty, your gift closet never run out, and all the usual suspects forget you usually lurk in the kitchen.

Happy Christmas, Joke!
Jaye Joseph said…
Thank God I just read that. I almost forgot to get the vodka for Christmas brunch! I just ran right out and got it and that liquor store was packed. Thank you!
Joke said…
JJ,

This raises the far more disturbing question of how you could let yourself run low on vodka...

-J.
blackbird said…
so glad you're back.

Happiest of holidays to you and yours.
Stomper Girl said…
Happy Christmas Joke. I hope your calm does not desert you. Cheers.

Popular Posts