If it was ever in doubt...
...I am clearly mental.
I was thinking about the Party So Ridiculous It'll Take A Whole Damned Year To Plan. Now, a normal person would probably not go with the "planning a year ahead" thing, for starters. That ought be your first clue.
The second clue is that a normal person, might/maybe/possibly, have some vague theme to the party that tales less than a year to plan. A luau, say, or maybe something "retro" that has relevance to the event which has its anniversary being celebrated.
I'd like to blame the pinkeye for this, but I haven't committed to this yet. Stay tuned.
Anyway, this is what I have decided thus far and what, when TFBIM called to check up on me and I told her, had her audibly rolling her eyes.
I'm going to have a Charity Gala as our party theme.
Here's the general idea:
All the usual gala stuff will be set up. We'll "sell" tickets ($1/head) and we'll have a program explaining "our mission" (To rear children well, eat nice food, not assassinate each other.) and all that other stuff that real charities put in their programs. We may "sell" (again, some very silly price) ads in the program as well.
We'll have a silent auction -- here is the part I think is damnably clever -- wherein invitees can bring stuff they have received as gifts and for perfectly good and noble reasons, never used. These will be the items up for auction. That enormous porcelain chicken not "go" with your kitchen? Put it up for the auction. Got an extra copy of The Joys of Bartending? Put it up for the auction.
We may have a presentation on on "what we do and how you can help."
Here's the kicker: There will be, at the end of the evening, a raffle. The winner of the raffle gets to donate the money raised (not that I'm expecting zillions) to his or her favorite charity.
I figured this whimsical idea would resonate with our pals, many of whom get involved in that whole gala thing (some, like the very lovely and utterly gracious Poppy, even have a very scary knack for doing so beautifully).
And yes, there will be goody bags.
-J.
I was thinking about the Party So Ridiculous It'll Take A Whole Damned Year To Plan. Now, a normal person would probably not go with the "planning a year ahead" thing, for starters. That ought be your first clue.
The second clue is that a normal person, might/maybe/possibly, have some vague theme to the party that tales less than a year to plan. A luau, say, or maybe something "retro" that has relevance to the event which has its anniversary being celebrated.
I'd like to blame the pinkeye for this, but I haven't committed to this yet. Stay tuned.
Anyway, this is what I have decided thus far and what, when TFBIM called to check up on me and I told her, had her audibly rolling her eyes.
I'm going to have a Charity Gala as our party theme.
Here's the general idea:
All the usual gala stuff will be set up. We'll "sell" tickets ($1/head) and we'll have a program explaining "our mission" (To rear children well, eat nice food, not assassinate each other.) and all that other stuff that real charities put in their programs. We may "sell" (again, some very silly price) ads in the program as well.
We'll have a silent auction -- here is the part I think is damnably clever -- wherein invitees can bring stuff they have received as gifts and for perfectly good and noble reasons, never used. These will be the items up for auction. That enormous porcelain chicken not "go" with your kitchen? Put it up for the auction. Got an extra copy of The Joys of Bartending? Put it up for the auction.
We may have a presentation on on "what we do and how you can help."
Here's the kicker: There will be, at the end of the evening, a raffle. The winner of the raffle gets to donate the money raised (not that I'm expecting zillions) to his or her favorite charity.
I figured this whimsical idea would resonate with our pals, many of whom get involved in that whole gala thing (some, like the very lovely and utterly gracious Poppy, even have a very scary knack for doing so beautifully).
And yes, there will be goody bags.
-J.

Comments
I can't begin to express how much I wish I could hand the reins over to someone like you who clearly REVELS in event organisation, leaving me with nothing to do but turn up on the night looking fabulous.
I remember seeing a very expensive gift (and in EXQUISITE taste, I might add) I had given a good friend the year before out on her rummage sale table, marked $2.
I think it's a good idea, actually. Doesn't hit you right away, but upon further review - I'd say it is clever and multi-purpose. And if they know you? Pretty much expected, I'd think.
Personally, I'd like to hear about the goody bags.
sounds
*fabulous*
Love it.
-J.
Was just saying that I was thinking exactly what MsCellania said: the regifts I would like to use would be from the people I would be inviting to the shindig - non-registered for, no return receipt wedding gifts.