Wheah ah mah manners?
In all the tales and narratives relating to NOS's birthday party, I forgot to issue thanks to the extremely lovely and terribly gracious Poppy, without whom none of this would have been possible.
Pull up a computer, dear Internet, and I shall tell you a tale.
About four years ago -- shortly before I started this sojourn into rum, bloggery and the lash -- I held the first JokeFest, to celebrate my 40th Birthweek* which involved, not only TWO birthday parties, but also some conferences, lectures, a driving tour and an after-party on Eastah Sunday. Poppy & Co. were able to fly down for the 2nd party -- JokeFest lasted from Saturday to Saturday -- and afterwards, we sat down with cooling beverages as I opened giftage.
Among the gifts from Poppy was a slim, magazine-like tome of recipes from Trader Vic's which was part of a promotion between Trader Vic's and United Airlines back in the early 1970s. During those years, 1st Class passengers flying to Hawaii were treated to Trader Vic's fare, and received a souvenir menu/recipe guide. Poppy, I expect, found it on eBay and made it one of my 40th Birthweek presents. (This is only partly why we love Poppy)
So, for 4-ish years, I would occasionally pull out the Trader Vic's souvenir, flip through the pages and sigh dreamily. But then -- haha!! -- NOS wanted the surfer/luau party and, thanks to Poppy's amazing foresight, I was able to produce the correct fare for the guests to consume cheerfully.
So, thanks!
-J.
*Mere birthday festivities would have clearly been insufficient, so I had to go this route.
Pull up a computer, dear Internet, and I shall tell you a tale.
About four years ago -- shortly before I started this sojourn into rum, bloggery and the lash -- I held the first JokeFest, to celebrate my 40th Birthweek* which involved, not only TWO birthday parties, but also some conferences, lectures, a driving tour and an after-party on Eastah Sunday. Poppy & Co. were able to fly down for the 2nd party -- JokeFest lasted from Saturday to Saturday -- and afterwards, we sat down with cooling beverages as I opened giftage.
Among the gifts from Poppy was a slim, magazine-like tome of recipes from Trader Vic's which was part of a promotion between Trader Vic's and United Airlines back in the early 1970s. During those years, 1st Class passengers flying to Hawaii were treated to Trader Vic's fare, and received a souvenir menu/recipe guide. Poppy, I expect, found it on eBay and made it one of my 40th Birthweek presents. (This is only partly why we love Poppy)
So, for 4-ish years, I would occasionally pull out the Trader Vic's souvenir, flip through the pages and sigh dreamily. But then -- haha!! -- NOS wanted the surfer/luau party and, thanks to Poppy's amazing foresight, I was able to produce the correct fare for the guests to consume cheerfully.
So, thanks!
-J.
*Mere birthday festivities would have clearly been insufficient, so I had to go this route.

Comments
Well, YES; I was a non-revenue passenger, flying with my airline employee parents. Why do you ask?
As re. flights, all I recall from the early 1970s was getting those little zippered bags from PanAm and Eastern and Braniff.
-J.
At risk of stoning, & mutters & threats about oil, I would recommend United Emirates Airline for flight between Oz & NZ. The meals are overly generous, & quite palatable- & envied by other Airline staff!
-J.