Pause the insanity!

More of what passes for conversations betwixt my dad and self:

[phone ringing noises]
Me: Hello?
Dad: I need you to help me run this.
Me: Run what?
Dad: Oh, good Lord. Here we go again.
Me: [pausing to remain composed] Um, Dad, it'd be a great help if we didn't start conversation in mid-paragraph. What are we talking about?
Dad: The software.
Me: Which software?
Dad: The one on the new computer.
Me: Wanna narrow it down for me?
Dad: It doesn't work on the new computer, it won't let me make any backups.
Me: Yeah, well, which software?
Dad: Financial Navigator.
Me: I've never worked with that one.
Dad: It's not letting me make backups.
Me: I don't know how to make it do that.
Dad: I try to back it up and it tells me the files are read-only!
Me: Change that.
Dad: It won't let you!!
Me: Well, Dad, you should have used your Peachtree Pro instead of Financial Navigator. After all, that's the one you recommended to every client you ever had. Financial Navigator is primitive and ancient and SO not-user-friendly.
Dad: That's not true.
Me: Then why can't you make backups or change files from read-only? Can you save the files in the network?
Dad: No. It doesn't let you access the network.
Me: Then how is that not primitive? That's why I don't use it.
Dad: I uninstalled version 8.1 and then reinstalled the earlier version, 7.5.
Me: Um...why on earth would you do that?
Dad: To see if that would work.
Me: But that can't POSSIBLY work! In fact, you probably made everything eleven times worse.
Dad: And NOW YOU TELL ME?
Me: Dad, I have a client meeting at first crack...I'll be there afterwards to see what I can do. Have you tried calling tech support?
Dad: You know those people all mumble.

-Joke

Comments

Popular Posts