Today? REVISED
Sucked.
A client with whom I had worked to put together a project called at 1st crack to piss and moan about wanting to back out because he hadn't gotten some paperwork from the other guy involved in the project. He had a point, it had been ages he had been waiting. But the other guy HAD sent the papers, only Guy A was tired of waiting.
I spent the entire day schlepping between offices and putting out fires.
The problem is that both of these guys are Very Accomplished Talkers and after official business is concluded, they start flying off on tangents about their (seriously!) collection of vintage casino ashtrays or their trip to México or whatever...
So I finally got home around 6ish, having spent, literally 90 minutes at my desk. Do you think I accomplished anything useful? Me either.
Blah.
-J.
Explanatory note: The problem was NOT how long my day was. My problem was that I had to handle a lot of stress (like, say, a major project collapsing) pretty much on the fly--and I'm blessed to be able to do so pretty well--for the whole day AND by doing so I was able to accomplish exactly nothing at the office. The number of hours itself is irrelevant. I never realized I had made a complete mess of what I intended to say until BB mentioned it.
A client with whom I had worked to put together a project called at 1st crack to piss and moan about wanting to back out because he hadn't gotten some paperwork from the other guy involved in the project. He had a point, it had been ages he had been waiting. But the other guy HAD sent the papers, only Guy A was tired of waiting.
I spent the entire day schlepping between offices and putting out fires.
The problem is that both of these guys are Very Accomplished Talkers and after official business is concluded, they start flying off on tangents about their (seriously!) collection of vintage casino ashtrays or their trip to México or whatever...
So I finally got home around 6ish, having spent, literally 90 minutes at my desk. Do you think I accomplished anything useful? Me either.
Blah.
-J.
Explanatory note: The problem was NOT how long my day was. My problem was that I had to handle a lot of stress (like, say, a major project collapsing) pretty much on the fly--and I'm blessed to be able to do so pretty well--for the whole day AND by doing so I was able to accomplish exactly nothing at the office. The number of hours itself is irrelevant. I never realized I had made a complete mess of what I intended to say until BB mentioned it.

Comments
So I finally got home around 6ish, having spent, literally 90 minutes at my desk.
is laughable here at chez weenies.
K is doing 19 hour days and spends 12 of them sitting in front of 4 screens.
I realize that we are on different planes of existence -- but, 6ish?!
Your post merely confirms my mindset that I never wish to manage/massage/assuage anyone and will remain a minion for the rest of my life.
I guess I mangled what I meant to say, that the day sucked because of what I had to do for all that time--while not accomplishing anything--and how stressful it was, not for the length of my workday.
-J.
-Joke
The thing is, you have forgotten to inform the blogsphere that your ultimate aim is to work part-time. If that.
--P.
My goal is to retire by the time JokeFest rolls around. Well, maybe JokeFest 2007.
-J., young fogey