Breakin' da law! Breakin' da law!
Every night, right around dinnah time (7:30ish for us Iberic types, which is widely considered early among our tribe) we break the law.
We allow NOS a modest ounce of wine or two of beer. My sister and I were bought up thus, and so were my parents (we'll set aside the issue of TFBIM's ancestors, as there seems to be a strongish caveperson streak therein) and I guesstimate all previous generations of Jokes. At some point or another, we climb far up the family tree and we bump into a Centurion and/or a Celt (they also settled the North of Spain, along with Normandy and parts of the British Isles).
Beer and wine, right there, hardwired into the DNA.
So, because we believe that certain beverages are a natural and desirable and civilized* part of the meal, we let NOS (NTS won't go near the stuff) have a tiny sherry glass' worth of wine or a pony glass if we're talking beer.
One of the things that struck me most as a kid visiting the family in Spain was watching 1) American teenagers going bonkers with the relative freedom to drink--and puking by 11am--and also 2) Kids my age having wine and beer and coffee. Not gallons, sure, but being socialized to the whole thing. The idea being that some beverages contain alcohol and while sometimes they serve to take the edge off, you really don't drink them to get hammered.
So we give NOS a tipple.
Of course, being my kid, he does it all obnoxious-like. He takes his little wineglass by the stem, he swirls, he sniffs, he holds it up to the light, he sips it with his eyes shut. He then says things like "This wine goes with the spaghetti."
All of which is against the law.
I'm just old enough that I can remember the drinking age going back up to 21 from 18. I was just old enough to be grandfathered in and so I was, as they say, golden. But what changed? Nothing. High school kids still got drunk. Binge drinking went up. All the hallmarks of progress. (Before you get the wrong idea of me as some sort of young sommelier in my college years, let me remind you of this dumbass blue dot I have and shall have for the rest of my life.)
Mind you, I went a bit nuts in college, but t'was nothing to compare with other freshpersons who were away from home for the first time. I recall being out-of-my-skull maybe 5-6 times. There were other more, um, Macchiavellian reasons why I often erred on the side of sobriety, but I digress.
So, now you know. If one among you is a mandated reporter, you'll surely show up in time to see my body go limp--forcing 3-4 members of the local constabulary to move me--as I sing, in a ringing tenor, "We Shall Overcome."
-J.
* So are cocktails, but we have to draw the line somewhere. After all, there's a limit to everything.
We allow NOS a modest ounce of wine or two of beer. My sister and I were bought up thus, and so were my parents (we'll set aside the issue of TFBIM's ancestors, as there seems to be a strongish caveperson streak therein) and I guesstimate all previous generations of Jokes. At some point or another, we climb far up the family tree and we bump into a Centurion and/or a Celt (they also settled the North of Spain, along with Normandy and parts of the British Isles).
Beer and wine, right there, hardwired into the DNA.
So, because we believe that certain beverages are a natural and desirable and civilized* part of the meal, we let NOS (NTS won't go near the stuff) have a tiny sherry glass' worth of wine or a pony glass if we're talking beer.
One of the things that struck me most as a kid visiting the family in Spain was watching 1) American teenagers going bonkers with the relative freedom to drink--and puking by 11am--and also 2) Kids my age having wine and beer and coffee. Not gallons, sure, but being socialized to the whole thing. The idea being that some beverages contain alcohol and while sometimes they serve to take the edge off, you really don't drink them to get hammered.
So we give NOS a tipple.
Of course, being my kid, he does it all obnoxious-like. He takes his little wineglass by the stem, he swirls, he sniffs, he holds it up to the light, he sips it with his eyes shut. He then says things like "This wine goes with the spaghetti."
All of which is against the law.
I'm just old enough that I can remember the drinking age going back up to 21 from 18. I was just old enough to be grandfathered in and so I was, as they say, golden. But what changed? Nothing. High school kids still got drunk. Binge drinking went up. All the hallmarks of progress. (Before you get the wrong idea of me as some sort of young sommelier in my college years, let me remind you of this dumbass blue dot I have and shall have for the rest of my life.)
Mind you, I went a bit nuts in college, but t'was nothing to compare with other freshpersons who were away from home for the first time. I recall being out-of-my-skull maybe 5-6 times. There were other more, um, Macchiavellian reasons why I often erred on the side of sobriety, but I digress.
So, now you know. If one among you is a mandated reporter, you'll surely show up in time to see my body go limp--forcing 3-4 members of the local constabulary to move me--as I sing, in a ringing tenor, "We Shall Overcome."
-J.
* So are cocktails, but we have to draw the line somewhere. After all, there's a limit to everything.

Comments
I don't drink alcohol but there's plenty of it floating around the house. In so many places we look like regular sots.
If either son wants a shot of beer with dinner, I might let them in a couple of years. I'll have to think about it. I was allowed liquor at home, and still became an abuser.
I certainly see both sides of this...
I'd have no problem with certain of my children having a tipple but not others and there is no half way.
I do think it gets harder as they get older...drawing the line.
And I know I didn't want to be THAT parent who gives the 'as long as they do the drinking in MY home I know they are safe' speech, as I want nothing to do with THAT.
But I do see your point.
And, more importantly, I respect it -
as I do you.
Then again, my dad drinks like a fish and I was allowed to have lots of generous sips throughout my childhood (and hello! IRISH. whiskey on the gums as an infant and whatnot) and ... I also drink. In moderation.
Now, anyway.
My conclusion: abuse is genetic. You're either gonna or you're not. As long as your 8 year old isn't weaving around with a lampshade on his head, hitting on the babysitter and running over pedestrians with his skateboard, then whatev.
And also, you are going to have to do better than that if you expect to shock the likes of US, Mr. Iberic Pants.
However, I hate seeing little children down a whole cup of coffee while their parent chuckles lovingly and says "they're just like a grown up".
They drink tea too, but I won't let them touch coffee.
I think that some alcohol abuse has a genetic component. Not quite as black-n-white as Badger's view, but not hostile to it, either.
One kid likes the taste, another hates it. For the connoisseur child he gets enough to taste it and get used to it be "no big deal" but not enough to start wobbling around, hurling insults and telling us where would we be without him. ("Inna guttah, 's where!")
In my case I certainly overdid it a few times, but those were accidental. I have never set out to see how much I could polish off. Partly it's a sense of responsibility, partly it's the fact that headaches follow like day to night, and partly because I HATE getting sick. No, really, I hate it. I have, like, psychological issues with it.
For me to overdo it (and "my" overdoing it is not anything spectacular) it has to be something along the lines of a wine tasting dinner (as in the best wedding I've ever attended) or a birthday party that starts off with cocktails at someone's place and goes through a champagne hour, assorted wines with dinnah, liqueurs with desserts and a nightcap.
-J.
Then 30 seconds later she passed out cold and slept about 11 hours.
(I hereby out Poppy as a kick-arse party-thrower.)
-J.
My mother was so adamant that I NOT drink (my dad was the town drunk) that I did it on purpose to spite her.
Well and I liked it too.
"Was I at that birthday party?"
"You THREW that party!"