Assorted and trivial bits.

The car already has 239 miles on it. In two days. With no long-distance trips or anything. Let that thought process through your brain for a moment.
*****
If you have a retailer who stocks it, run--don't walk--and load up on Domaine Chandon's Blanc de Noirs. It's pretty dry, but given that it's "the classic blend" of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay, with some Pinot Meunier (sp?) thrown in for good measure, it’s soft and round and elegant at the same time. This is a really wunnerful sparkling "champenoise" with rich strawberry 'n' cream/peaches 'n' cream and vanilla flavors that are nuanced and complex. Think of buttery, shellfish-ish appetizers and you may just swoon and make noises. After New Year's, I managed to find it for $15. FIFTEEN.
*****
There is a non-scandal scandal in my extended family. Since many of you expressed sincere wishes to get mo' background on my less-than-functional cousin, I thought I'd share the news, pretty much as I received it.

OK. This cousin is my mom's sister's daughter. She has two children, Boy Cousin and Girl Cousin. The former has somehow managed to get and (thus far) stay a functional human being and is one of the few relatives I have with whom I'd be friends if he weren't related to me. GC is, um, not. Let's just say she takes after her mom.

Now. My aunt and my uncle got remarried to each other a few years back and set up housekeeping as husband and wife, she moving into his house. She then, for some inexplicable reason, signed over the deed to her house to GC. For equally unfathomable reasons, GC's dad also signed over HIS house to GC. So, one day GC up and sold both houses and for good measure managed to get my uncle to hand over almost $50K to her, somehow. Frankly, GC has shown infinitely more initiative and proven herself more calculating than I would have imagined. Other than the fact she shafted BC--her brother--out of half of the inheritance, my hat is off to her.

Everyone else in the family is appalled and shocked. Much like people are appalled and shocked when they leave their wallet behind and the money goes missing. My bet? GC will go all Prodigal Son and, once the cash runs out, everyone will forgive her.

*****

In about a week or so, I go back to being a SAHD.

That is all.

-J.

Comments

Stomper Girl said…
People like your GC leave me speechless, and shaking my head, open-mouthed. And as you say, somehow their families always forgive them.

Clearly the new car is a hit Christmas present!
Joke said…
PR - Those two are actually one and the same? Wow!

SG - My point is that nobody ought be surprised by her behavior, which is basically identical to her mother's (save for the thinking part) in manipulation and opportunism. I'm amazed people are surprised.

-J.
Badger said…
The World Market ad in today's paper had both the Brut and the Blanc de Noirs for $16.99 each. Izzat a decent price? Because I'm going to be over that-a-way tomorrow....
Joke said…
It retails for ~$20, so yeah, that's decent.

-J.
KPB said…
I'm totally rocking the GC actions, purely on the basis of her gaul and as you say - manipulation and opportunism. I mean - who would ever have the audacity!?! AND get away with it until people suddenly look up in horror. Fantastic.
Joke said…
What has me amused about the GC is that for years the rest of the family has done that whole Horatio Nelson "I see no ships" things as re. her behavior.

She'd never done anything like this* before because she's never been given this sort of golden opportunity to show her stuff before. She was given this dream chance because those involved neverevereverevereverever imagined she'd do exactly what she did.

Sorta like people who try to bring up vegetarian cats, leave the birdcage open one day, and are appalled to find Tweety being digested by said cat.

Last we heard, she was in Honduras.

-J.

* By conservative estimates she's made off with US$300K.
KPB said…
It just occured to me, that while it feels like a lifetime ago, I believe it must have been about this time last year that I started reading your stuff and marveled at the curios that was Joke, a SAHD.
Joke said…
Kim,

It feels like a lifetime ago because in Oz you use the metric calendar.

-J.

Popular Posts