Remember?
Today marks the 5th Anniversary of the attacks of 9/11/01.In this blog, I try to respect privacy, so I rarely (ever?) give out last names, infrequently first names. While still doing this, I'd like you all to specifically keep Tim in your prayers today.
Tim was 42 years old (the age I am now). He had a beautiful wife and an enviable marriage, with three gorgeous children who were then aged 5, 3 and 1. He had just gotten a great promotion at a certain financial services firm. Five years ago today, he and about 3000 other innocents were murdered. The first plane struck right at the floor where his firm's office was located. He never stood a chance, and died on impact. His family, I believe, has never recovered anything of him. I fear there was nothing left of him. So, I have no way of having experienced 9/11 through the prism of a "regular" person. Someone I knew (it'd be wildly presumptuous of me to claim him as one of my nearest and dearest) died.
Someone good and kind and decent and honest and loving. Killed by a murderous hatred given genocidal expression. So, today I remember him and his family, I remember all those who helped, all those who perished and those who survived them.
Today I am reminded of The Battle Hymn of the Republic, by Julia Ward Howe.
-J.

Comments
-J.