A burnt offering.

One of the nice things about living on the Fringe of ParadiseTM, is that you get many pleasant culinary collisions. Stuff gets tropicalized, or vice-versa. Different ingredients get familiar treatment, or vice-versa. You get the idea.

Here's my latest:

3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 chipotle chiles (the kind that come in "adobo")
Sea salt (to taste)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons smoked paprika (not the hot stuff, this will be too much with the chiles)
1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
TINY pinch cumin
4 tablespoons peanut oil
1 rack pork spareribs (I think in the UK, etc. they are called belly ribs)
1 orange, zested and juiced
2 limes, zested and juiced
2 tablespoons light brown sugar

Preheat the oven to 225F (110C?). Mash the garlic cloves and spices, adding the oil to make a paste rub. Cover the ribs with the rub wrap tightly (envelope-like) in foil but leaving a temporary opening, and let rest in a roasting pan for an hour or two. (The longer the better, really)

Dissolve the sugar in the orange/lime juices, adding the zest. Carefully pour the juice mixture into the foil packet and seal VERY tightly. Cook for 2 hours. Remove the pork from the oven, reopen the foil and CAREFULLY pour off the marinade/juices into a saucepan. Place the saucepan over medium high heat to reduce by half (this will now become a glaze). Return "naked" ribs to cook at 375F (190C?) for about 10 minutes, just to get them crisp. With 1-2 minutes to go, brush with the glaze. Serve.

OPTIONAL: You could do this outside over a live flame. The chipotles and smoked paprika will give you a pleasantly smoky taste even if you restrict yourself exclusively to the oven, but if you go outdoors, it will be enhanced.

Serves 6 as a main dish.

-J.

Comments

Caro said…
Why do you not weigh 400 pounds? :)
Joke said…
Because my vanity outdoes my gluttony.

-J.
Badger said…
Just when I was thinking this would burn my intestines right out, you edited it! Sounds much better now. Or, you know, less lethal.
Joke said…
No idea what I was thinking...glad I fixed it and put the chipotles where they belong.

-J.
MsCellania said…
SO glad you got your chipotles back where they belong!

Again, I am RENDING my clothes that I fell in love with a vegetarian. Although, maybe tofu..... ?
Joke said…
Frankly, I never thought it could've been managed. You definitely get martyr points!

-J.
Bec said…
So, doing this outdoors in a hooded barbeque (with thermostat to track temp) I'd keep the foil packet and treat the bbq as an oven?

I momentarily despaired over the chipotle inclusion then remembered I have a South American food supplier not too far away (in Sydney, there is No Such Thing as hard-to-find-ingredients, only noncommital cooks).

While I am deeply in love still with Kim's star anise version of ribs, this had me drooling from the paprika...
Joke said…
Bec,

Precisely. The idea of using the oven, at least for the first part is that it allows you to cook this ahead a day or so.

-J.

P.S. Chipotles are smoked jalapen~o chiles and are a very common Mexican ingredient.
Bec said…
Helpful as ever.

We returned to properly warm spring days this weekend and I did mussels with italo tomatoes and basil and garlic in a wok on the bbq burners tonight.

O! The bliss of the new house with its mains-connected gas for the barbie on the verandah.
Joke said…
When we redo the kitchen and convert to gas, that's one of the side projects...to connect the grill to the house gas, as opposed to a measly little tank that could run out at the worst possible moment.

Oh!

And while you're at it, see if you can go to a home improvement center and get yourself a slab o' rough-ish marble cut the size of your barbie's surface. You will then be able to do all that brick oven stuff.

-J.
Bec said…
Get OUT!

We have two stone slabs from offcuts when renovating the kitchen in our other house. I wonder if one of them would fit...?
Joke said…
Yah-huh.

You actually want to leave about 1cm-2cm of space around the surface, to get some air circulation. But yes, do that.

THEN you can start making real Italian-like pizza among other things.

-J.
Bec said…
Let's see Flashman come up with something as useful as that... Or Donald Duck, for that matter.

Popular Posts