You always have to be different, don't you?

As a little kid, I was into comic books as well as uncomic ones. But, because I was something of an eccentric boy, I dove headfirst into the Donald Duck/Uncle Scrooge comics. Other kids were starting off on the mother's milk that was Superman, progressing to the "brooding" Batman (only in those days he didn't brood so much, probably because he was a bachelor billionaire) and then some delved deeper into The Flash, Greent Lantern et al., while others migrated to the Marvel Comics which had characters with all kinds of "human qualities" (i.e., they were vaguely fu'd up) because, I dunno, those were the late 1960s - early 1970s when every form of imbecility seemed to make sense. Why the Silver Surfer had chlamydia or the Submariner was lactose intolerant I have no idea. But some people went in for that.

Later on, some people moved on to "alternative" comics. Harvey Pekar, etc. If you saw Chasing Amy, you know what I mean.

Can you see me being into any of the above? Not on your life.

I went (and stuck) with Donald/Scrooge partly because I am pathologically loyal, but mostly because those comics were erudite, clever, beautifully researched and free from the pie-in-the-sky naivete or the haunting/brooding thing or the miasma that accompanies the "underground" scene. Definitely none of that angsty $#!+.

Those comics told stories, had plot, theme, subtext and nuances to which I'm only now catching up. I found them engrossing and involving in ways the others (with the possible exception of Tintin) could never deliver. Free from the contortions required to flesh out characters the individual adventures (one comic became so beloved by Steven Spielberg he practically lifted the whole damned thing for Raiders of the Lost Ark) hit the ground running.

They were also beautifully drawn and fanatically researched. I liked them, sensing there was stuff being learned painlessly. I mean, c'mon, only a genius can make 7 year-olds learn the word "littoral" and like it. And here we come to the crux of the thing: these comics were all the product of one guy, Carl Barks. From 1946-1972 he drew every line, colored every panel, wrote every word and practically ran the printing press at Disney. He had been brought over from Animation to help out with the then-new comics department and he slowly took over, flourishing in the unsupervised air. He put out three issues a month for 26 years until he retired.

To this day, one of the favorite things to do on a quiet evening is pull out some of these comics and read along with the boys. NOS gets into the adventure, NTS likes the pictures and I like the whole damned thing.

-J.

Comments

Sarah said…
Wow. Donald Duck. Who knew?

I was totally mainstream. Mad Magazine all the way for me. Read them over and over. Studied the art styles. Learned the names and quirks of the entire gang of idiots.

I've purchased the Mad in the 60's and 70's, Spy vs Spy, etc. and I remember every word, drawing and nuance.

That magazine made a huge impact on me.
Joke said…
S.,

I got into Mad later, and it was always supplemental to the Donald Duck stuff.

I especially loved Spy vs. Spy and also the Don Martin stuff. And Al Jaffe.

And the reissues of the old 1950s Mad.

-J.
Suse said…
My three boys are total Tintin nuts.

All the way.

(Doorbitch is njnjek which suggests those modern ninja turtles are trying to muscle in on this superheroes conversation)
Major Bedhead said…
Oh, I loved Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge! I was also a huge fan of Spy vs. Spy. I never got into the super hero comics. I thought they were dull.
Joke said…
Julia,

They're still around! Disney has a new company printing them out these days.

http://www.gemstonepub.com/disney/default.asp

Some of the content is "new" stuff (meh) but each issue has at least one classic adventure.

-J.
Poppy B. said…
I never had any money to buy comic books until I was in high school. In Junior High I read my older brother's Mad Magazines.

In high school I started making money, whereupon I became a huge fan of R. Crumb, Zap Comix, and S. Clay Wilson. I also loved Marvel titles like Spiderman and the Avengers.

No Betty and Veronica, no Donald Duck, no DC, no Asterix, no Tintin.
Joke said…
Wow, and TSMYM is a Tintin maniac. Who knew that mixed marriages could prove so successful?

-J.
BabelBabe said…
did the Silver Surfer REALLY have chlamydia?
Joke said…
Maybe it was cystitis, I don't recall clearly.

-J.
Muzbot said…
Growing up I used to make my own comics and place them on the shelf in the school library. The best thing for me was no one knew who was creating these little gems. Disney artist Mary Blair was and still is truely an inspiration for me.
Bec said…
Has this inspired you to go off on a comic reading frenzy or are you having another Autumn Project moment?

Not that I'm a NaNooNaNoo nut or anythin', but your absence is noted...
Joke said…
A little bit of everything.

-J.

P.S. I also had to prove I wasn't doing GoSloNoMo.
Irene said…
You quack me up! Donald Duck rules. c",)
Bec said…
Ok. You've proved your point. Now it just looks petulant.

(Mind, I'm here because of a bout of bloggers' block halfway through writing this week's RSM, so I should be more kind to you, really I should.)
Joke said…
It's not my desire to appear petulant. That's just a bonus.

-J.
Bec said…
You win.

Oh wait: I've regained the last word.

Looks like I win.
Joke said…
Didn't know it was a contest of wills. Sorry to defeat you.

-J.
Bec said…
Not yet, Spaniard, not yet.


(woohoo - how many times do you get to use a movie quote as aptly as that?)
Joke said…
"You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you."

-J.
Bec said…
"I'm not left-handed either..."

Popular Posts