So it's 4 a.m., so what?

TO THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE AWAITING A BLOG ENTRY ON PIE, THIS AIN'T IT. YOU MAY WISH TO CHECK BACK LATER. THANK YOU.
-The Management

Yes, I have insomnia. I've always had it. It used to "piss me off something fierce*" when I was a kid, because all I'd do is stare at the ceiling for HOURS. I eventually smuggled a flashlight and would read until I finally got sleepy.

But now I'm the dad, and so, I do as I bloody well feel like. In this case that involves blogging at 4am. Blogging at 4am rarely deals with weighty issues (which I generally avoid, at least on this blog) and you're lucky if I manage to sling out a semi-coherent stream-of-consciousness. Ya done been warned.

First is a mild sort of rant. As I go bloghopping I find someone who writes a comment and while the comment is just, y'know, meh, the profile pic looks interesting. So I click it and go to that person's profile and then I click "View Full Size" only full-size is still the same damned postage stamp size thing. WTF?

Also, I have to profess envy/admiration for BB's (bof'em!) agility with a digital camera. This takes a greater level of preparation and readiness than I am able to muster on short notice. And when I do decide to get all photo-bloggy, I have to gather the subject matter and assemble it and futz around with the flash settings and angles and then look for the USB wire thingy that may or may not be at the office or in my wife's car or wherever. So if I say I got Donald Duck Comics issue #155 on eBay, most of the time you have to take it on faith I did.

But the mailperson, insofar as delivered material goes, was nice to me. Today's haul included sale flyers for Bloomingdale's, Macy's and Tuesday Morning, plus catalogs for Hallmark, S5A, W-S, PB (what? again?), some wine-and-cheese-gift-basket company, some "Holiday Gourmet Food Gift" company (prominently featuring sodium benzoate), a Christmas card reorder thing from Crane's** and, most importantly, The Rosengarten Report (THE foodie newsletter) and two of my three fave UK magazines: AutoItalia and Italia! which have amazingly minimal overlap.

I have also developed an odd fascination with the TV show Drawn Together, which is a Comedy Central parody of ALL animation genres and of reality shows, especially the VH1/MTV-flavored ones. The humor is, typically, broad and it's a show I won't miss when it's off the air, but for now it's something fun to watch when I remember and I am near a TV set when it's time for it to come on.

And Thanksgiving is nearly here! Yay! That means I have one more ill-timed spasm of work (11/29-12/5) and then I can start slacking off as a more-or-less SAHD*** until mid-April.

Okay! G'night Internet!

-J.

* Which sounds like something you'd complain about to your urologist, but still.
** Only those on our A-list merit Crane's, so while the cost per card is steep, the total outlay is verrrrrry reasonable.
*** My slow season coincides with TFBIM's tax season, so I take over.

Comments

blackbird said…
You craved a larger version of my bird, didn't you.

Eagerly awaiting the pie.


On the very edge of my settee.
Joke said…
You know I'm a fan of Big Bird.

-J.

P.S. Whatever happened to BlackBirds 1-16?

Popular Posts