"The effrontery, sir, the damnably impudent cheek of it all."

Many of you, no doubt, are familiar with the "Steal This Look" concept as espoused by what passes these days for fashion magazines.

Well, it's one thing when you're the one exhorted to do the stealing. Quite another when it's your look which is the subject of larcenous suggestions. Exhibit A (photo) is a from a certain high-end menswear purveyor with retail locations scattered in the Best Places (y'know NYC, London, Paris, Rome...that sort of thing).

As Poppy will readily testify, the look encapsulated (minus coat, since I have enough sense to reside where coats are superfluous) by said photo is pure, unadulterated Joke. Besides the fact all individual components are truly snazzy, you'll note the subtle, sophisticated interplay of patterns and textures; the damn-near-imperceptible black & grey nailhead pattern of the suit against the subtle blue-on-blue check of the shirt, all highlighted by the "ruby port"/navy regimental necktie.

That's "me!"

Why are these people pilfering my look for profit? Especially when I see not a cent of that profit. God knows I'm as big a fan of profit as can be found, but one must be fair and share said profit with me. Especially since I had to ride out those hideous years when high-gorge near-Edwardian suits and monochromatic shirt'n'tie combinations were all the rage. Wasn't I steadfastly at the helm of the SS Timeless? Didn't I help navigate between the Scylla of Trendiness and Charybdis of Stodginess?

Isn't that worth a few ducats flung my way?

The prosecution rests.

-J.

Comments

blackbird said…
so, that's a shirt from Pink, right?
Joke said…
I decline to give the guilty bastids any free publicity.

-J.
Badger said…
Well, there is JUST NO PLEASING some people. First your briefs are in a bunch over how most males of the species dress like Neanderthals, and now that they are finally catching on to what is good and right, sartorially speaking, you're STILL not happy.

You didn't see me getting on my high pony when the boho look came back, even though I'd been working THAT shit since high school, did you?

Hmph.
Bec said…
I'm not a copyright lawyer, but it may be their counsel suggested including the coat specifically to deny you, the plaintiff, a rock solid case for theft of intellectual and sartorial property.

Wait, maybe I SHOULD be a copyright lawyer?
Joke said…
Badge,

I'm not complaining at the men -- who for the most part still dress as if fire were a far-off dream and the wheel a newfangled plaything for kids -- I'm complaining that I've had my signature look cribbed without shekels raining down upon me.

-J.
BabelBabe said…
"...between the Scylla of Trendiness and Charybdis of Stodginess" And this is why I looooove you, Joke. Well that, and your tie. Which looks strangely puffy there, dude.
Joke said…
BabBab,

Blame that certain high-end menswear purveyor (with retail locations scattered in the Best Places) because that's their photo from their catalog.

Also, even when I DO have to wear a coat, I don't wear it to drape like a cape.

-J.

Popular Posts