More miscellanea
The word "miscellanea" reminds me of a bit of verse by Dorothy Parker:
"Life is an endless cycle of song,
a medley of extemporanea,
and love is a thing that can never go wrong,
and I am Marie of Roumania."
No, I have no idea why she spelled it Roumania.
Yesterday I was given the following surprises:
1- Another 8 people will be coming to Thanksgiving Dinnah
2- I will be cooking 3 (not 2) turkeys.
This means, dear reader, one of the dual ovens will be taken up with the assorted side dishes other people are bringing (sweet potato thing with the marshmallows, some corn thing with eggs and corn syrup, etc.). This further means I will be cooking, for the first time ever, rotisserie/grilled turkey in the NC-17 (not QUITE the porno grill, but good enough) grill. I've never brought a rosary to the kitchen, but now strikes me as the way to go...along with generous tumblerfuls of red Zinfandel.
So I went to my hoity-toity grocery store and ordered the three turkeys (13-14lb. range) for pickup Tuesday morning. Let's see how it goes.
The catalog overload continues apace. In the last week, we've gotten Holday Season catalogs from many companies--many of which have sent before--such as Red Envelope, Frontgate (purveyors of porno grills), Macy's, Bloomingdale's, Nordstrom, N-M, S5A, Mayor's Jewelers, Tiffany & Co. (4 so far since Halloween! But the last one we got was the big fat one), Lands' End, LL Bean, Brooks Brothers, Lillian Vernon (ZZzzzzzzzzzz), Toys R Us, K-B toys, Hammacher-Schlemmer, Sharper Image, Reed & Barton, Lenox, Lego, Tourneau, Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware, Crate and Barrel (which carries neither), Williams-Sonoma, Chef's, Sur La Table, Griot's Garage, eBay(!) and lots and lots from "gift basket" companies. Regarding the latter, if I wanted to give people indifferent cheddar biscuits and dubious "wine and cheese spread" I'd get them at the grocery store and use one of TFBIM's eleventy gazillion baskets and some of her twelvity bales of raffia, thus saving 90%.
Still haven't seen Chicken Little in 3D.
Had a dream in 3D, though...only in my dream I couldn't find those red and blue glasses and so the dream was fuzzy and red/blue at the edges.
Why all of a sudden, are people's toes being photographed all over the blogosphere? Or has this been going on forever and I've been too self-absorbed to notice?
I'm pondering posting my "Letter To Santa Claus" here.
Whatever happened to those old Hanna Barbera cartoons? Y'know...Wally Gator, Snagglepuss, Huckleberry Hound, etc.? Not that I miss 'em, but I am curious.
-J.
"Life is an endless cycle of song,
a medley of extemporanea,
and love is a thing that can never go wrong,
and I am Marie of Roumania."
No, I have no idea why she spelled it Roumania.
Yesterday I was given the following surprises:
1- Another 8 people will be coming to Thanksgiving Dinnah
2- I will be cooking 3 (not 2) turkeys.
This means, dear reader, one of the dual ovens will be taken up with the assorted side dishes other people are bringing (sweet potato thing with the marshmallows, some corn thing with eggs and corn syrup, etc.). This further means I will be cooking, for the first time ever, rotisserie/grilled turkey in the NC-17 (not QUITE the porno grill, but good enough) grill. I've never brought a rosary to the kitchen, but now strikes me as the way to go...along with generous tumblerfuls of red Zinfandel.
So I went to my hoity-toity grocery store and ordered the three turkeys (13-14lb. range) for pickup Tuesday morning. Let's see how it goes.
The catalog overload continues apace. In the last week, we've gotten Holday Season catalogs from many companies--many of which have sent before--such as Red Envelope, Frontgate (purveyors of porno grills), Macy's, Bloomingdale's, Nordstrom, N-M, S5A, Mayor's Jewelers, Tiffany & Co. (4 so far since Halloween! But the last one we got was the big fat one), Lands' End, LL Bean, Brooks Brothers, Lillian Vernon (ZZzzzzzzzzzz), Toys R Us, K-B toys, Hammacher-Schlemmer, Sharper Image, Reed & Barton, Lenox, Lego, Tourneau, Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware, Crate and Barrel (which carries neither), Williams-Sonoma, Chef's, Sur La Table, Griot's Garage, eBay(!) and lots and lots from "gift basket" companies. Regarding the latter, if I wanted to give people indifferent cheddar biscuits and dubious "wine and cheese spread" I'd get them at the grocery store and use one of TFBIM's eleventy gazillion baskets and some of her twelvity bales of raffia, thus saving 90%.
Still haven't seen Chicken Little in 3D.
Had a dream in 3D, though...only in my dream I couldn't find those red and blue glasses and so the dream was fuzzy and red/blue at the edges.
Why all of a sudden, are people's toes being photographed all over the blogosphere? Or has this been going on forever and I've been too self-absorbed to notice?
I'm pondering posting my "Letter To Santa Claus" here.
Whatever happened to those old Hanna Barbera cartoons? Y'know...Wally Gator, Snagglepuss, Huckleberry Hound, etc.? Not that I miss 'em, but I am curious.
-J.

Comments
I have received shockingly few holiday catalogs to date. They'll probably all come this week.
My confirmation word is birrlywz. Burly whiz? Great, now I have to pee.
-J.
pssixm - now *I* have to go pee.