Thanksgiving 101 - The Gratitude

Get your insulin ready those of you who are at risk, this could get sappy.

Sappy, yes, but sincere...so bugger off.

When we say we are thankful, we usually omit to whom we are in a debt and, as time goes by and the texture of Western Civilization--such as that is--becomes more frayed and coarsened we tend to lose sight of that.

OK.

First, I am thankful to God for ALL of the following:
  • My wife, who has put up with me for 12.5 years even though I make her roll her eyes twice an hour, and shake her head at least thrice daily
  • My boys, for whom I'd walk through fire
  • My health, because one day I'll be 112 and drooling
  • My job and my clients, even the ones who are a PITA
  • The opportunities I have been given, including the ones I was too dense to seize
  • Being forgiven for the stupid and mean things--out of character, I assure you--I have done and, more frequently, said.
  • My normal relatives, because the contrast is so sharp between them and the majority
  • My country, because I couldn't enjoy these blessings this fully anywhere else
  • Those who fought (and often died), in the military and otherwise, and faced unspeakable horror and hardship so that my sons might not have to...it's an incalculable debt which I can only acknowledge but not repay.
  • The people at St. T's. who are doing yeoperson's work in trying to keep me on the straight and narrow.
  • My pals, starting with my blog-pals SL, BB, the other BB and Gina, TremTrig, M2, CC and even Ancient Nick. My cyber pals who have put up with me since my Usenet days: Jujube (Poppy rightly notes I should acknowledge Jujube's schlepping down to SoFla for JokeFest) and Badger. And Poppy, who is as wonderful a pal as anyone has the slightest right to expect. Anyone who delights in telling people "we met on the Internet!" and going into the story with perverse zeal deserves more public accolades than I can manage at 5:something a.m.; the least I could do is put her on my short list of people who get a bone marrow donation AND the super-exclusive Christmas Card "A-list." There is nobody better with whom to close down restaurants.
  • Having survived hurricanes and earthquakes with minimal damage.
  • Being given the gifts I have.
  • Being a foodie.

So that is my thankful list, sappy but sincere.

Thus endeth the lesson.

-Joke

Comments

BabelBabe said…
Happy Thanksgiving, Joke.

Good luck with the dinner hordes. We expect pictures.
Poppy B. said…
Leave us not forget that so-called "cyber pal" Jujube actually made the trek to So. Fla. to attend Joke Fest I, which, I believe, deserves special mention.

So I just did.

I feel that she deserves this extra pat on the back. Even if she doesn't update her blog nearly often enough. Oh, that's right. She's in loooooooooooooove.
Poppy B. said…
Yes, good luck with the 48 people, and that's only the adults, plus the innumerable children (Good Lord, every time you look away there are more of the little bastards, at least it seems that way to me) and the cooking and the loaves and the fishes.

Me, I've already ruined three desserts. And it's early yet. I have lots of time to ruin more food.
Poppy B. said…
Oh, and my number one reason to be thankful today? That I have a pal who sings my praises to the internet. Over and over. To the point where the internet--usually so mild-mannered--is working up the nerve to go over and ask him to kindly pipe down.

So Joke, thank you.

And now I must go burn some more food.

--P.

p.s. I can't wait to see your reaction to the incredibly insultingly cheap crap I've accumulated for your Christmas presents.
Joke said…
Mine's cheaper. HA!

-J.
blackbird said…
awww Joke --
you seem to have covered it all, earthly and heavenly.

I hope you have a wonderful meal today surrounded by those who appreciate you.

with love...
jujube said…
I'd like to thank the Academy, uh, I mean Poppy and Joke, for this honor. MWAH to both of you too, and I am very thankful to have met you both "on the Internet" too.

Poppy, I may be in loooooooooooooove, but the reason the blog never gets updated is that I now split my time between 2 households (4 nights/3 nights) and there's just no time to think anymore. arrrrrgh. Plus I never think anyone ever reads it. But I will try to entertain you more often with it.

jujube
Joker, thanks for the honorable mention! :) I hope your Thanksgiving was as delectable and blurry as mine. Started the drinking late this year, 2:30 pm! The spread was fabulous, nothing too fancy, just a lot of heart and soul.

Popular Posts