At your convenience.
(For some reason, this post devolved into a rant. It probably sounds harsher that I meant it to. I had no intent to hurt anyone's feelings, of course...but I'm letting it stand nonetheless.)
Dear Internet,
As you may recall, I griped about the inexorable dumbing-down of cooking media.
The culinary media is on a downward spiral of its own devising and, much like someone who enjoys the taste of arsenic, loving every moment of the process.
This devolution is manifested in the fetish for not teaching people to make anything involving more than the dumping of jarred, tinned, canned, boxed and/or powdered stuff atop indifferent meats and produce. Anyone who has ever dared to mention making stock has been booted off or sent to gulag-like publications. Leaving us with hit-and-miss wonders on air. (Tere dislikes them for their whitebreadness, I dislike them for attempting to convince the more credulous that white bread is worthy of the effort of chewing.)
Mind you, I'm on record as not being utterly against all convenience products. I just bitterly resent the ever-encroaching assumption that this "always and everywhere" attitude is perfectly okay. A long time ago, when I was even more vain that I am now -- or, at least when my vanity seemed more evident in the way I pursued my nutritional and exercise regimens -- I subscribed to a magazine called Eating Well, which was a sort of healthy-eating-for-foodies. This magazine, sadly, was bought out by the same crowd who publish Cooking Light. The latter magazine is Definitely Not Foodie Grade stuff. So, the publishers promptly shut down* the former. This left readers with a magazine suffused with recipes that instructed readers to gather up tins, boxes, cans, frozen bags, etc. without even an option for fresh edibles.
This isn't meant to automatically slight convenience stuff, though. There are many things which one can buy that will speed the weeknight dinner with only small sacrifices in quality. The biggest eye-rolling a foodie gets from a non-foodie involves making stock. I won't go into a proper and correct and well-within-my-rights tirade on why everyone should, but even if you do, you might not have any, say, beef stock since your family doesn't usually eat beef meaning you usually don't have any for such a purpose.
In any event, you could go with the aseptic packaged Pacific brand. The final result won't be as sublime as if you had simmered (and saved in frozen form) your own, but it will be Not Too Bad At All. When it comes to convenience stuff, though, the Italian contingent pretty much leaves the rest of the foodverse bound and gagged. Not only could you go with the stuff I wrote about previously, but the Francis Ford Coppola sauces (especially the Amatriciana, the Arrabiata and the Porcini-Marsala) are divine, as is Citarella's Lobster Fra Diavolo.
There is also no big deal about getting that washed/bagged produce, or getting something already cut up from the butcher counter. Besides the cost, natch. But that's a damned sight mo' different than getting precut frozen chunks of cooked chicken.
At the risk of seeming like a proselyte, I believe there is something lost at the cultural/societal level when we make it a habit of outsourcing our food preparation further up** the distribution chain. When you choose to continually let commercial enterprises cook for you and your family you are missing out on so damned much. The ease of dialing up and having something delivered, or of dumping things from cartons and bags and the freezer is addictive and, I maintain, corrosive. The food will never be as good, the nutrition certainly won't be.
I'm not talking about being a foodie geek like me, pondering how to cure and smoke my own bacon or straining to find unpasteurized milk to make my own cheese or making my own sausages, or saving pounds upon pounds of bones and carcasses for stock. I'm talking about making an effort to put together something for your family to derive pleasure and nourishment therefrom. When you think about it, there is nothing you can do for those whom you love that will have the same immediacy. You could slave away and buy your son a Wii (like I just did) but in the long run it won't have the impact as you and he in the kitchen making maple-pecan pancakes for brunch. The Wii and the MP3 players and the toys and clothes and stuff are fun, but the fun they bring is ephemeral...just ask any parent whose kid "graduated" from a playing daily with PlayStation2 to whining for a PlayStation3.
Maybe I'm weird. (Wait, I know I am.) But to me having one of my sons tell me that the X we cooked is really, really good is priceless. There is a holistic manifestation of family-ness going on there. That feeling is fragile and easy to lose, unless it's nurtured and maintained.
This is not to say, that on a day when one arrives very late, dog-beat from work ordering pizza is a major personality defect, or that defrosting something is akin to an abdication of love and responsibility. What I'm driving at is the habituation of such a thing and, most importantly, the damnably sad fact that there are TV networks and magazines that stoke said habituation.
OK. Done with this subject.
-J.
* This magazine eventually resurrected and, while the recipes are pretty good it has come back with an inexplicable political slant I find abhorrent, thus letting my subscription lapse.
** This is like the foodies' equivalent of breastfeeding activism.
Dear Internet,
As you may recall, I griped about the inexorable dumbing-down of cooking media.
The culinary media is on a downward spiral of its own devising and, much like someone who enjoys the taste of arsenic, loving every moment of the process.
This devolution is manifested in the fetish for not teaching people to make anything involving more than the dumping of jarred, tinned, canned, boxed and/or powdered stuff atop indifferent meats and produce. Anyone who has ever dared to mention making stock has been booted off or sent to gulag-like publications. Leaving us with hit-and-miss wonders on air. (Tere dislikes them for their whitebreadness, I dislike them for attempting to convince the more credulous that white bread is worthy of the effort of chewing.)
Mind you, I'm on record as not being utterly against all convenience products. I just bitterly resent the ever-encroaching assumption that this "always and everywhere" attitude is perfectly okay. A long time ago, when I was even more vain that I am now -- or, at least when my vanity seemed more evident in the way I pursued my nutritional and exercise regimens -- I subscribed to a magazine called Eating Well, which was a sort of healthy-eating-for-foodies. This magazine, sadly, was bought out by the same crowd who publish Cooking Light. The latter magazine is Definitely Not Foodie Grade stuff. So, the publishers promptly shut down* the former. This left readers with a magazine suffused with recipes that instructed readers to gather up tins, boxes, cans, frozen bags, etc. without even an option for fresh edibles.
This isn't meant to automatically slight convenience stuff, though. There are many things which one can buy that will speed the weeknight dinner with only small sacrifices in quality. The biggest eye-rolling a foodie gets from a non-foodie involves making stock. I won't go into a proper and correct and well-within-my-rights tirade on why everyone should, but even if you do, you might not have any, say, beef stock since your family doesn't usually eat beef meaning you usually don't have any for such a purpose.
In any event, you could go with the aseptic packaged Pacific brand. The final result won't be as sublime as if you had simmered (and saved in frozen form) your own, but it will be Not Too Bad At All. When it comes to convenience stuff, though, the Italian contingent pretty much leaves the rest of the foodverse bound and gagged. Not only could you go with the stuff I wrote about previously, but the Francis Ford Coppola sauces (especially the Amatriciana, the Arrabiata and the Porcini-Marsala) are divine, as is Citarella's Lobster Fra Diavolo.
There is also no big deal about getting that washed/bagged produce, or getting something already cut up from the butcher counter. Besides the cost, natch. But that's a damned sight mo' different than getting precut frozen chunks of cooked chicken.
At the risk of seeming like a proselyte, I believe there is something lost at the cultural/societal level when we make it a habit of outsourcing our food preparation further up** the distribution chain. When you choose to continually let commercial enterprises cook for you and your family you are missing out on so damned much. The ease of dialing up and having something delivered, or of dumping things from cartons and bags and the freezer is addictive and, I maintain, corrosive. The food will never be as good, the nutrition certainly won't be.
I'm not talking about being a foodie geek like me, pondering how to cure and smoke my own bacon or straining to find unpasteurized milk to make my own cheese or making my own sausages, or saving pounds upon pounds of bones and carcasses for stock. I'm talking about making an effort to put together something for your family to derive pleasure and nourishment therefrom. When you think about it, there is nothing you can do for those whom you love that will have the same immediacy. You could slave away and buy your son a Wii (like I just did) but in the long run it won't have the impact as you and he in the kitchen making maple-pecan pancakes for brunch. The Wii and the MP3 players and the toys and clothes and stuff are fun, but the fun they bring is ephemeral...just ask any parent whose kid "graduated" from a playing daily with PlayStation2 to whining for a PlayStation3.
Maybe I'm weird. (Wait, I know I am.) But to me having one of my sons tell me that the X we cooked is really, really good is priceless. There is a holistic manifestation of family-ness going on there. That feeling is fragile and easy to lose, unless it's nurtured and maintained.
This is not to say, that on a day when one arrives very late, dog-beat from work ordering pizza is a major personality defect, or that defrosting something is akin to an abdication of love and responsibility. What I'm driving at is the habituation of such a thing and, most importantly, the damnably sad fact that there are TV networks and magazines that stoke said habituation.
OK. Done with this subject.
-J.
* This magazine eventually resurrected and, while the recipes are pretty good it has come back with an inexplicable political slant I find abhorrent, thus letting my subscription lapse.
** This is like the foodies' equivalent of breastfeeding activism.

Comments
But this is a process, y'understand.
Let's start with the sandwich thing. You need to start gathering the materials therefor from the non-crap section.
Real bread, real cheese and mustard and so forth. Then you work up towards cooking things such that you will have leftovers that will afford you the opportunity to make the aforesaid sandwiches.
Then there's pasta.
You start with the basics (spaghetti, lasagna) and even macaroni and cheese made properly is a revelation.
The idea is to:
a) minimize -- not eliminate -- your use of convenience stuff, and
b) make sure the stuff you DO use is "good" stuff, in all senses of the word.
I'll post some stuff this week.
-J.
Not to toot my own horn, or anything.
I feel your pain, a million times over (no matter that I DO buy aseptically packaged organic stock rather than making my own), but I find that it helps from a blood pressure standpoint to realize that folks like you and I are not (any longer, anyway) the target market/audience of the Food Network. People like my aunt and uncle are. They LOVE that shit, can buy all the ingredients in Podunk, Ohio where they live, and actually feel up to the task of assembling what they see there.
On the bright side, at least it's gotten them INTO THE KITCHEN. You know? From there, those of us who love them and fear for their general well-being can gently lead them to greener pastures.
Baby steps, n'at.
The world's going to Hell in a handcart.
My gripe is not so much that Food Network doesn't give a @#$% what I (or you) think. My gripe is that there's no foodie TV for we to watch.
Stop and consider this observation, whch would have been dismaying a mere 10 years ago: The best TV cooks on America's TV sets now come from Great Britain.
My theory? Product placement.
-J.
Homemade stock is the mainstay of my cooking. Without it, I would be lost.
I am bordering on religious on this point.
People think I'm a Good Cook. But I'm not. I just make great stock.
One of the things that disturbs me about teriary food is what would happen if the economy collapsed? 2/3 of the 1st would starve do death, because they don't know how to prepare a chicken, and could no longer dial one up.
So I TOTALLY hear you.
I always make spelling mistakes when I'm worked up.
Dammit.
But I think on the whole we have a healthy respect for natural fresh produce, & all round bloody good cooking!
Our sandwiches are a work of art!
Are you sure you aren't really Anthony Bourdain?
The crapification of Food Network (I remember when it was called The Food Channel) is why I ordered Julia Child's DVDs from PBS. It's why I watch whatshisface Bittman doing 1001 Great Recipes on PBS. Why I watch Lydia's Kitchen. On PBS. Sensing a theme here?
The only cooking show worth watching on FN, that's actually about cooking, is Molto Mario. And I think they stopped shooting that in about 2001. And Alton Brown, of course. It baffles me how he's managed to stay and even thrive on that channel.
FN has some fun shows - Ace of Cakes, Feasting on Asphalt, that show about diners - that are entertaining and informative, but they don't teach you how to cook. They just tell you where you can get good food. Which is good and important, but yeah. I'd rather know how to MAKE the cakes, the gumbo, the comfort food.
that is all.
Maj. BH - If I were, I'd bathe regularly with money instead of with the usual soap and water. I must admit that in recent years my interest in PBS cooking shows waned. "Cooking with Caprial" and whatever with Nick Stellino are shows that ought scare the people who make Ambien.
What I want to see is people cooking new and inventive things. I desperately miss the old PBS show "Great Chefs" because you go to see real chefs doing creative and delicious things. (The year they did Great Chefs of the Southwest pretty much completed my foodie process.)
KWH - The thing with SL is that she and her cooking approach is THE symbol for the new and devolved Food Network. If these people ran the Outdoors Channel, it'd feature programs on people buying farmed venison.
Feh.
-J.
Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall (the River Cottage guy) is my love god, well, cooking hero at least. Now I've made my own sourdough starter and bread there's no stopping me. And my husband is the sort of odd bod that gets up at 7am and makes pots of different mustards because he feels like it.
I taught myself to roast a chicken at the age of 38 (me, not the chicken. That would give new meaning to the term 'old boiler'). My children are being Taught How To Cook now.
HFW is a worthy sort to emulate. Good job!
-J.