I've got...

Good News
and Bad News.

As you can see we're about 2/3 of the way done with the bathroom re-do. All we're missing is the cabinets (the cabinet guy is handcrafting these out of solid, sustainably harvested Fair Trade, hardwoods using nothing but solar powered implements...or so says he in justifying his prices and timeliness), the, er, throne and the jewel-encrusted, solid 24KT gold faucetry.

The last picture ties in with Flashback Friday.

All bookish people will know the sad feeling that overwhelms you when a power greater than our own tells us, in no uncertain terms, there are too many books. In this case it was done by snapping a shelf in twain. One half of the shelf is off to the left of the red books -- about which more anon -- and the other half peeking out from underneath same.

About these books. This is my encyclopedia. When we moved to the Fringe O' Paradise area (I'm originally from Rust Belt City) around 1975, these books were in the house my parents bought. It was, even then, a woefully out of date encyclopedia; its meager usefulness protracted feebly with the addition of annual supplements. I didn't care. I was a book-mad, knowledge whore and I loved them. I have schlepped with them from dwelling to dwelling.

Alas, the shelf which held them has shouted "Enough! I'm done!" and split neatly in two.

Since all the other bookshelves are of a similar vintage, this means an expedition to upgrade the shelving situation, lest we all awaken to find ourselves aswim in tomes and volumes.

And there ya have it.

-J.

Comments

Poppy B. said…
Pictures 1 and 2: My daughter wants to know why the bathroom is blue and pink instead of red, which is her favorite color. So that had better be reflected in the dowry.

Picture 3: I was addicted to the World Book Encyclopedia. My favorite volumes were M and D. Our set was blue, but I recognize the annual updates.
Stomper Girl said…
Will the higher power be cranky that you just re-housed the too many books?
shula said…
My version is Arthur Mees Childrens' Encyclopedia. Early 20th century Empire Reference texts, belonging to my mother, as a child.

The shelf they were on collapsed at 3 in the morning right next to our heads.

We thought it was a police raid.

I still have them, of course.
Bec said…
Formatting is fine in my version.

My World Book was brown. Blue sounds nicer.

My word verif is qhmgryqs, which I am sure you will find, if you look it up in those beautiful red tomes, is a shelf-eating worm that is attracted only to encyclopedia-bearing woodwork.
Suse said…
I've finished HP7 now (10 mins ago) so can return to blogland and not inadvertently read spoilers.

Jewel-encrusted solid gold taps? Are you taking the piss?
Joke said…
Poppy - It's blue and Navajo White (but at sunset the light gave it a pinkish cast). When she moves in, it'll be repainted red. In fact, if she marries one of the lads, she'll get the red car as a wedding gift, if she can drive stick.

Shula - What would you be doing that a collapsing encyclopedia would automatically trigger thoughts of a police raid?

Suse - Only very slightly.

-J.
My float said…
The bathroom looks great - those little blue tiles are very stylish.

Pondering: Just how many encyclopedia salespeople do you think the internet boffins put out of work? Damn technology!

Popular Posts