Much Ado About Nothing Much

Well, to those of you who saw Monday come and go without the following list: Sorry. I had to shutter up Chez JMG because of Hurricane Tropical Storm Summer Rainshower Ernesto. To top it all off, the shuttering tasks were hampered by the fact the roofing guys had started ripping out my roof and had to double-time it (thereby flinging dead roofing tiles upon mine head as I tried to secure the premises).

Tuesday was a no-go because I had to help my dad and also my FiL with THEIR Hurricane Tropical Storm Summer Rainshower prep, seeing as how they are of Advanced Years, and it would set a bad example for my sons to see me let their grandfathers get splattered by a steel storm panel.

Which brings us to today and today's list, subject to revision as my head clears.

As you will doubtless recall, the purpose of these lists is to inform the readership of the things which have informed our attitudes, outlooks, choices, etc. Therefore, here are the programs/films that have helped shape my way of looking at things.

How I Deal With The Women Folk (for better or worse)
Can't Buy Me Love
Sixteen Candles
His Girl Friday
Loverboy
Moonlighting
Kiss Me, Kate - "Just declaim a few lines from Othello, and they'll say yer a Hell of a fella!"

What it means to be a man
The Natural
Chariots of Fire
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Forrest Gump
The Quiet Man
Pulp Fiction - Just play along, OK?
The Thin Man series - Especially the first two. "Nonsense, they came nowhere near my tabloids."
Metropolitan - (Look Muffy, a film about us.)

Music
The Blues Brothers
High Society - Well, did you evah?
Kiss Me, Kate - (Where to start?!)
Top Hat
Royal Wedding
Where The Boys Are (1984)
Valley Girl (the last film to have a flawless soundtrack)

Work
Trading Places
Other People's Money
Wall Street

Lifestyle
Trading Places - "I had the most absurd nightmare. I was poor and no one liked me. I lost my job, I lost my house, Penelope hated me and it was all because of this terrible, awful Negro."
Wall Street - Just for the clothes.
Volunteers - Any movie which makes fun of the Peace Corps feels TOO right.
Making The Grade - "That comes from the heart, the left aorta...the vein that pumps love."
The Endless Summer
The Game of the Century
Jeeves & Wooster - Practically a primer for menswear AND interior decor.

Family
Leave It To Beaver - I have a strong Ward Cleaver streak.
Sitting Pretty - Those familiar with the Lynn Belvedere films will recognize much of li'l ol' me.
Mr. Mom - But only for 3.5 months per year.

Society in general
Barney Miller
News Radio
Firing Line
South Park
Beavis & Butthead

God & Country
The Right Stuff
Going My Way?
Patton - "Rommel! You magnificent bastard! I read your book!"

Worldview
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Volunteers

I reserve the right to revise and extend my remarks.

-J.

Comments

Steve D. said…
Hey, I think you got that quote from Trading Places wrong...

...wasn't that what Michael Brown said after Katrina? ;)

-Stevie D. (lazycomic.blogspot.com)
blackbird said…
Wardrobe

The Great Gatsby
Badger said…
Dude. I can't BELIEVE Life with Father didn't make your list anywhere. My image of you is shot to hell now.
MsCellania said…
Pretty good. Pretty good.

I'm in the throes of getting-two-in-school and too many extracurricular activities. So I read, but no comments.
Caro said…
Ferris Bueller's Day Off was one of the best movies ever.
BabelBabe said…
Joke dear, The Quiet Man? Please. The Maureen O'Hara role, or the John Wayne one? Just asking...

Would it surprise you to learn that my husband was in the Peace Corps? Sigh.

Popular Posts